Two Brothers' Tap House Opening!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joe Dragon said:
I haven't tried one yet but the kid at the counter said it's great and 7% alcohol.

Yeah, it's potent, and easy to drink.

I went on Friday, it looks like they have even more stuff in the coop, at least more wine stuff.

The restaurant area was empty of restaurant looking stuff, and full of construction dudes and equipment. White walls, etc.

They open tomorrow, so... hopefully they made some progress.

can't make the 9th, keep me up on any other adventures. Did make it to the Granite City in Orland park saturday though and they had some pretty good bock on tap.

bgrand281 said:
can't make the 9th, keep me up on any other adventures. Did make it to the Granite City in Orland park saturday though and they had some pretty good bock on tap.

Just found out a couple weeks ago that they had opened. Want to try it since it's near home.

I visited the Granite City in Rockford last time I was visiting out there. I wasn't too impressed. Their IPA was pretty mild and their Lager was like a Miller Lite. Both beers I tried tasted "watered down" for lack of a better term. My burger was nothing to write home about either. Pretty disappointing overall. Though my buddy had a Scotch Ale which he thought was great.

Crazytwoknobs said:
That's pretty much how I felt about that brewpub in lombard.
Taylor Brewing? Yah, I've got some interesting stuff about that place I'll share on Saturday.

rdwj said:
So, the plan is to get there about noon and take the tour at 2?

Yep. At least, I know I'll get there just after 12pm. Probably too late to join the noon tour. If everyone would rather do the noon tour before I get there, that's okay. I've done the tour in their old place. Not to mention the tours at Flossmoor, Three Floyd's, Goose Island, Emmett's... I think I've got the process down.;)

Barring any really terrible weather on saturday, I'll be there between noon-1.

I had the long hammer IPA and thought it was a little bland and underhopped. It wasn't a bad beer, but I thought it was more of a plain pale ale than an india pale ale.

I'm going to try to make it there on saturday, but I'm not certain. If I do, I'll probably get there about noon also.

Rhoobarb said:
Taylor Brewing? Yah, I've got some interesting stuff about that place I'll share on Saturday.

Does it have anything to do with the fact that it's gone down hill ever since opening. I first went there about 6-7 years ago and the beer and food was good, and everytime I've gone back since then they both have slowly declined. Last time I was there, about 4 years ago, the food was absolutely terrible and the beer was definitely watered down.

srm775 said:
...Does it have anything to do with the fact that it's gone down hill ever since opening. ...

More along the lines that it hasn't been good since they left Naperville.

Watered down at the tap faucet maybe?

It was super flat and underflavored. I think there were only like two things on the menu I could eat (vegetarian).

I hope to convince some family members to join me at the brewpub tonight, if not, maybe I'll see you guys on saturday.

My fiance is a vegetarian as well. If you haven't been, you should give the Handle Bar a try. Decent craft brew selection and the menu is mostly vegetarian. I can vouch for their meatless chili-mac.

http://handlebarchicago.com/

Also, at Kuma's Corner you can sub a veggie pattie for any of their burgers. SWMBO swears by the veggie Iron Maiden burger. I've had a bite, it was ok, but I was having a real burger at the time, so not the best time to evaluate it.

http://www.kumas-corner.com/

Chicago is a great place for vegetarians with good taste in beer. For a meat eater engaged to a vegetarian, it makes going out for dinner and drinks once in a while not so painful for both of us.

oh hells yes, thanks for the tip jvh, I'm soooooo there!

I go to DePaul, so I'm not too far from those neighborhoods.

I graduate in the next few months, so I'll spend more time in wheaton, but thanks man... now I have a place to take dates...

Kick ass!

srm775 said:
So, who all is planning on bringing their SWMBO?
Me.

Go to a beer and eating related event where she doesn't have to cook and not bring her along? She'd be downhearted if I did that! If they have any Hop Juice avaiable, she'll be in Heaven. We split a bomber bottle of Left Hand Warrior IPA with dinner last night and it was quite good.

srm775 said:
So, who all is planning on bringing their SWMBO?
I am. Also looking forward to meeting up with everyone.

I drove by 2 Bros. this morning since I had an appointment in Warrenville. I was surprised at how remote it is from the main road. The lots weren't plowed. The door was locked. I didn't see much activity. I know I had the right place because the "Brewers Coop" sign was in the second floor window. I hope they get their work done and pass all their inspections so they're ready for us.:D

FermentEd said:
... I drove by 2 Bros. this morning since I had an appointment in Warrenville. I was surprised at how remote it is from the main road. The lots weren't plowed. The door was locked. I didn't see much activity. ...

What time was that? According to their website, they don't open until 11:00am. I know the Coop never opened until ~noon at the old place.

Rhoobarb said:
What time was that? According to their website, they don't open until 11:00am. I know the Coop never opened until ~noon at the old place.
It was early, 9:45. I guess I was expecting more activity at the building since it's a brewery, restaurant and homebrew shop. There were about 4 cars in the lot, but the building looked quiet.

Saw a news story on WLS-TV last night about new research on the health benefits of beer and Jim, Jason and the new brewery were featured pretty prominently. I posted it here.

Rhoobarb said:
Saw a news story on WLS-TV last night about new research on the health benefits of beer and Jim, Jason and the new brewery were featured pretty prominently. I posted it here.
I saw that too. So my motto now is "Drink Beer and Feel Better!"

We saw that report last night too. Good move by channel 7 to promote the story during "Lost".

SWMBO is looking like a no go on saturday. She's got a paper to work on. I should still be a go. Though they're now calling for more snow today and saturday. Hopefully the roads wil lbe alright. Man am I tired of this...

jvh261 said:
... they're now calling for more snow today and saturday. Hopefully the roads wil lbe alright. Man am I tired of this...

So am I. Most snow I've seen since I was in college. But they are only calling for scattered snow showers tomorrow and a 40%-60% chance at that. So it doesn't sound like it should deter us.

On a different note, is anyone bringing any homebrew along for sampling? It had been mentioned early on, but is it even feasible to do now? I recently kegged my Damned Kids Oatmeal Stout and it turned out pretty tasty. I could bring a growler.

I don't know if they'll let us bring HB into 2 Bros. I think Joe mentioned we could use his shop, but with SWMBO along It's probably best for me to just meet at 2 Bros.

Rhoobarb said:
On a different note, is anyone bringing any homebrew along for sampling? It had been mentioned early on, but is it even feasible to do now? I recently kegged my Damned Kids Oatmeal Stout and it turned out pretty tasty. I could bring a growler.

The brewer's coop is one of the drop-off spots for the UKG competitions, including the drunk monk challenge. Jim and Jason do alot to support the local homebrewing community, so I would think they'd allow homebrew. But, you could always call before hand.

All I have on-hand is a mild/northern brown (which most eveyone's already had) and under-lagered marzen. I have a scotch ale in secondary, a cream ale and oatmeal stout in primary. So, no homebrew for me, unless anyone wants me to bring my mild again.

srm775 said:
...All I have on-hand is a mild/northern brown ...
Hey, I liked that mild!

I won't be able to call them b/w now and then. So, what I might do is bring a growler and leave it in the trunk of the car - maybe just see how things go.

srm775 said:
The brewer's coop is one of the drop-off spots for the UKG competitions, including the drunk monk challenge

I entered the DMC year before last, but skipped last year b/c I didn't have anything ready in time. Might try this year.

Rhoobarb said:
I entered the DMC year before last, but skipped last year b/c I didn't have anything ready in time. Might try this year.

I think the end of this month is the deadline for entries.

srm775 said:
What are you going to enter?
Probably the oatmeal stout I just kegged. It's the only thing I have ready right now that I think is worth entering. I did an amber recently, but I'm still on the fence about it.

Rhoobarb said:
Probably the oatmeal stout I just kegged. It's the only thing I have ready right now that I think is worth entering. I did an amber recently, but I'm still on the fence about it.

I wasn't planning on entering anything ... I really don't like the whole competition thing, but I might reconsider. Wouldn't mind having some formal feedback on some of my beers.

I might enter my cream ale and my stout (not sure if I'd add vanilla & bourbon or not). gotta see how they turn out.

Back