S-04 or 05 for Porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iBrewBeer

Reaction score
Which one and why?

The Fermentis site is so frustrating to use when trying to choose between their dry yeasts.

Thanks!

Depends on how you want your porter to taste.

05 attenuates and flocculates more than 04, which will leave you with a drier, clearer beer (given the same grain bill, fermentation temps and time, etc).

04 will give you a sweeter, maltier beer, but will leave your gravity higher, and take longer to clear.

They'll both make you a tasty porter. :mug:

Do you prefer one over the other? I've heard S-05 referred to as a "workhorse" yeast.

My brewing buddy has been using it for nearly everything here recently.

Depends on how you want your porter to taste.

05 attenuates and flocculates more than 04, which will leave you with a drier, clearer beer (given the same grain bill, fermentation temps and time, etc).

04 will give you a sweeter, maltier beer, but will leave your gravity higher, and take longer to clear.

They'll both make you a tasty porter. :mug:

S04 is more flocculant than S05

S04 will leave you with a clearer beer all else equal.

the rest of your info is accurate.

If do 04. It'll taste more like a traditional porter.

05 could be good. I know it's not the same style but I imagine 05 would give you a clean beer like a Baltic porter.

I pretty much just use S-04 and US-05 in all my beers. My Porter gets the -04 with very good results. I typically use the -05 in APAs and IPAs, but have used the -04 in APAs a few times with good results, esp. when I'm going for a bit more malt in the flavor profile.

S04 does floc out faster and clear up better.

Wow, great info here! I've learned more about 04/05 in these few short posts than trying to decipher the manufacturers website.

Thanks!

Back