Building a brewstand - Burner selection is giving me fits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beertroll

Reaction score
I just ordered the angle iron to build a 3 vessel, single-tier brew stand (copying the Wallace design that's floating around in a few threads), but I'm a bit stumped on the burner end of things. My original plan was to grab three of these, but then I decided to do a little more research. I've read through quite a few threads here and elsewhere, and now I'm more confused than I was when I started. Given that there's fire involved, I probably shouldn't be left to my own devices.

My hope is that if I detail my use case, somebody more knowledgeable than I can just give me a shopping list, or at least help me narrow down my choices. To start with, I only initially need 2 burners. My mash tun is a converted cooler, and while I might someday go to heated tun, that isn't likely to happen for quite a while. If I were to just install 2 burners now, is adding a 3rd burner sometime down the road going to be fairly simple? I'm propane only (15lbs grill cylinder); natural gas isn't available anywhere near me, nor is it likely to be in the future. I don't plan on doing any sort of automation. Brewing manually is where the fun is for me.

Unsurprisingly, I want as much flame control as possible on my boil kettle, while output is king for the HLT. Is using dissimilar burners a real pain to make work? I was thinking maybe something like this for my HLT, while going with a lower output banjo for my BK, but I worry that a grill cylinder won't be able to drive that. Ugh. I wish this really were as simple as banging the rocks together.

I use two of the BG-14 burners. One for the HLT and one for the BK. I also use a regular grill tank and have no issues heating 10 gallons in each vessel at the same time. I use the high pressure regulator from the tank to 1/2 black pipe, the black pipe has a ball valve before each burner for flame control. You can go with either needle valve (which I think most people use) or the ball valve. I have no issues using my ball valve. Then I have the gas hose running to the orifice from the valve.

If you want easy, you can have each on it's own tank or buy the first one with a high pressure regulator, then you can make the manifold and wips.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYQY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
or here
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000291GBQ/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I have both these and they both will brew beer in a keggle. The second one has a 10psi regulator, which is small for 3 big burners.
These are to easy to use burners, the first one is by far the most popular. But you can buy two of the smaller ones and have separate tanks.
Their are lots of ways to skin this cat.
chep good burner
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYSW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Back