Ghetto Brew Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just fooling around this morning with some ebrewing stuff I bought at Home Depot, when it hit me that I could make simple electric AG kit and mail it to my son in San Francisco for Christmas. I've been mailing him finished beer and thought he might like to brew his own.

So here's the the basics of the kit:

5 Gallon bucket $2.50
Lid $1
1500w 120v element $10
1" lockring $.50
5' cord $5
Spigot $3
Air lock $2
5 gal paint strainer bag $2

So I got ~$25 in the hardware

Here's a demo bucket action (don't be hatin' :D)

003.jpg

Include some grains and a pack of yeast.

Haven't worked on the recipe, but it should go something like this:

Add 3 gallons water to bucket and plug in
When boiling, unplug and add X amount tap water (to bring down to mash temp guess I could include a thermometer in the kit, but hey I'm cheap)
Add the grains and first wort hops cover with lid and sit for an hour
Remove bag
Boil for 1 hour
Let cool
Add yeast, lid, airlock
Let sit for 5 days in the cool San Francisco air
Add priming sugar to PET bottles and fill from spigot
harvest yeast and brew another batch
Wait 3 weeks
Chill and drink :ban:

So just so I'm clear, the opposite of 'Food Safe' is still 'Food Unsafe' right?

PVC Cap is a couple of bucks. Drill a cord-sized hole in it and run the wiring through it, then place it over the element (might have to dremel PVC cap in a few places) with some JB Weld around it, then silicone around the outside. Now your connections are water-resistant and this is how many e-kettle guys do it (unless they're doing Kal clones), I know I do it that way.

tre9er ; Good idea . that connection is totally unsafe and being in close vicinity of liquid is even worse . Wonder if he ever thought about kids or people with not much common sense being around during brew time . Hell one shock and someone could jump and knock over the beer ! Now that is a tragedy for sure .
Oh well at least he can maybe have 5 gallons of beer to drink at his friends funeral service .

Hey other than that it is a nice setup I think .

I would consider attaching your ground wire to the bucket handle...safety first.

So there's been a lot of talk about whether or not that bucket is food safe. I know many homebrewers use aluminum turkey fryers. Couldn't you just line the bucket with aluminum foil? You'd use that weird pinch technique your grandma used in her pie crust coverings to seal the aluminum shell so nothing would ever get to the plastic of course. See pic below for example.
image-263354365.jpg

Back