Help with new Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robthefrog

Reaction score
I bought a refractometer with ATC.
Here is the recipe for my latest brew:

Grain:
8oz American Two-row Pale
.75lbs Crystal 40L

Extract:
9.8lbs light LME

Hops:
1.3oz Amarillo(AA9.8) (60 Minute)
2.0oz Chinook(AA11.8) (60 Minute)
1oz Cascade (15 Minute)
1oz Cascade (DH 7 Days)

Yeast: S-05

Misc:
1x Whirlflock Tablet (15 Minutes)

I didn't have a refractometer when I measured the SG of 1.077 (18.5 Brix I'm assuming you can calculate backwards).
Today it's been a little over a week and I measured a Brix of 8.8. Using the more beer spreadsheet that puts my current FG at 1.011. That seems a bit over attenuated if I'm not mistaken? Any hints as to why it's so low after a little over a week, or does S-05 just eat that sugar up like crazy?

I did import the spreadsheet into google docs so maybe the calculations changed a little. Would anyone mind running the numbers using excel? I don't have excel :( 18.5 starting brix and I just read 8.8 brix. The refractometer is an ATC model so you shouldn't have to fill in temperature. Here's the spreadsheet I'm using: http://morebeer.com/public/beer/refractbeer.xls

You're actually closer to 1.009. RebelBrewer has a handy calc if you don't want to do the Excel thing...it tracks pretty well with the BrewzorCalc on my android.

I've had S-05 finish that low before from 1.065. IMHO, S-05 is a workhorse of a yeast strain. I think it's pretty under-appreciated. You're in luck - you brewed a 9% ABV.

You're actually closer to 1.009. RebelBrewer has a handy calc if you don't want to do the Excel thing...it tracks pretty well with the BrewzorCalc on my android.

I've had S-05 finish that low before from 1.065. IMHO, S-05 is a workhorse of a yeast strain. I think it's pretty under-appreciated. You're in luck - you brewed a 9% ABV.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease :) And thanks for the link.

Back