Rogue Pacman Yeast - how cold is too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am making a dead guy ale type recipe this weekend. My pacman yeast starter is chugging away.

My question is, has anybody had any success or failure with pacman yeast in the upper 40's low 50's? I was thinking of pitching at 70 degrees and keeping the fermenter in 48-50 ambient for the first week or two. Then slowly raising up for D rest like a lager.

I got this quote from brewups.com

http://www.******.com/pacman-yeast-by-rogue-wyeast-1764-pacman.html

"It prefers to ferment in the 62 to 64° range, but it can handle temps down to the mid 40's and up to 70° depending on what style you are making, which makes it a great all-around workhorse yeast for any beer that you want to completely ferment. Great flocculation characteristics leave your beers clear, too."

So it sounds like it would work!

I just did a dead guy cloane and kept it in the low 60's. It fermented like a champ and I hit my numbers in about 5 days. It is still in my fermentor I am leaving it to do some clean up. The sample tasted great I am really looking forward to this brew.

When I was brewing there we kept it at 18C and crashed to 0C. That primary temp jives with the quote Drewpah gives. That being said, I have never used it lower than that.

I did the can you brew it recipe and followed it to a "t" and it was nearly spot on. Fermented at 60.

I did the can you brew it recipe and followed it to a "t" and it was nearly spot on. Fermented at 60.

I have made that recipe as well...with the centennial hop for perle as John Maier said would work. It was great beer.

I am keeping the grain percentages the same, but subbing C80 for the C20...I want it a little darker with some extra caramel ooomph.

I will be bittering with Magnum and loading up finishing hops.....with something different. Nugget and Cascade in all likelihook.

I've fermented Pacman as low as 55*F successfully. It took a couple weeks to finish at that temp, but it worked.

I usually do pacman at 60 for the bulk of fermentation and it is pretty dang clean. Not sure if you would gain anything from taking it that low. But if any ale strain could take it I would say it would be pacman. That stuff is a beast.

I wrote rogue a couple of years back asking what temperature to ferment a barley wine at. I got this response.
"I hope you didn’t mean this past weekend! Sorry, I try to answer as quickly as possible but can’t get to things same day lots of times. L I talked to John and while a lot of the beers do ferment at lower temps, the Barleywine is actually fermented at around 70. So, try that and let us know how it turns out! Thanks so much for writing."
That yeast ferments a barleywine very well at that temp.

I tried 55 degrees and it was not a fan...started to drop out at roughly %30 attenuation. raised temp gradually to 65 degrees, roused yeased, and we are rockin now!

Back