I need a 101 on Root Beer making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcr80

Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for a year, so I am familiar with homebrewing in general but am clueless about making Root Beer.

Over all is it the same type of process? Less or more difficult? How do you carbonate bottles? How long does the entire process take?

tried my hand at root beer today. made two 2 liter bottels. i put 1/2 cup of 80 degree water in a measuring cup to which i added 1/8 tsp dry ale yeast and let it sit for 15-20 min. i put 1-1/8 cup of plain white sugar in a 4 qt bowl to that i added 1-1/2 tsp root beer extract and about a qt of 80 degree water. stir eveything to mix well, added yeast mixture, stir to mix and pour into bottle. put on cap and shake GOOD for a couple of minutes. top off with enough 80 degree water to bring within a couple of inches from top of bottle. cap, let sit at room temp for 1-3 days, bottles should be nice and hard. put in fridge for a couple of days to stop the fermentation and you have root beer. the second 2 liter i used 1-1/8 cup brown sugar to see any difference in taste

My only concern is carbonation. How do you know when to throw it in the frig? That would make a messy bomb.

My only concern is carbonation. How do you know when to throw it in the frig? That would make a messy bomb.

Indeed.
1) Plastic bottles - you know when they're rock hard
2) Check at 2 days, 3 days is usually perfect
3) Put bottles in a rubbermaid bin with lid on, for insurance.

Back