What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hooked up gas to my white Stout should be ready to drink by Thursday! Made this one for my Homebrew Club internal contest.

Ran down to the welding supply house to exchange a CO2 cylinder and cleaned my pump from yesterday’s brew day. I clean it after every brew and the crap that came out was a good reason why.

Last edited:
Took a sample of the white Stout after putting it in co2 overnight. Looking good so far. Should be fully carbed by Thursday
IMG_20190129_211640638.jpeg

Looks good... How does it drink?
Very smooth and creamy. the coffee is still a little strong but I think will fade over time the chocolate is on point. Next time I would only do coffee beans for 24 hours not 48 hours. Every couple days though the coffee fades and blends better probably just need some time I thought I overdid it at first and was worried LOL

Stared at my brewery most of the day. Organized a few things. Depressed over my job situation. If someone doesn't hire me soon I'm going to club this baby seal.

Ugh I still have four kegs to clean. Maybe tomorrow I can hook up the pump in the bathroom near my office (home office). This way I can easily keep an eye on it even though they are in the tub.
I'm also home office, I used my lunch for cleaning today (and an episode of the office to remind me of what i'm not missing).

Had a day full of Brewtivities. Started by running to get a co2 can refilled and pick up RO water for brewday. I brewed a NEIPA which will be triple dry hopped with Hüll Melon, El Dorado, and Citra. Durring the mash i kegged a doppel bock. Durring the boil i bottled the rest of the porter and some rye pale ale for an upcoming comp. Went to a local brewpub for dinner and music bingo. Now i am back home to finish cleaning everything and drink another beer. [emoji482]

I'm also home office, I used my lunch for cleaning today (and an episode of the office to remind me of what i'm not missing).

I like the way you think. I’ll take my lunch break to clean those kegs tomorrow.

Also, I placed a heating pad in my beer fridge that sits in the garage. This will help keep it from getting too cold with the “Polar Vortex” that we are in. I think tonight it’s supposed to drop below 0 degrees Fahrenheit.

IMG_3957.JPG

Finally cleaning the four kegs. Usually I do this outside so I can make a mess but the tub works great when it’s the dead of winter.
Man I love this keg washer I built!!

View attachment 610186

Finally cleaning the four kegs. Usually I do this outside so I can make a mess but the tub works great when it’s the dead of winter.
Man I love this keg washer I built!!
Care to share the build? Thinking of automating mine, tired of filling a keg with oxiclean, shaking for 5 minutes, pushing through the lines with co2, rinse, repeat with starsan.

Care to share the build? Thinking of automating mine, tired of filling a keg with oxiclean, shaking for 5 minutes, pushing through the lines with co2, rinse, repeat with starsan.

IMG_3958.JPG

IMG_3814.JPG

I purchased a utility pump and all of the fittings (PVC pipe, hoses, connectors) as seen in the photos. I place some hot water with PBW or oxi-clean free into a buck. Place the pump in there and set the keg or fermentater on top. Let it run for 15 minutes. Then I do the same thing with just hot water to rinse it. Works really well and I’ve been happy with it. I modified a lid as you can in the one photo to help hold fermenters in place. I think in total it cost me around $50 +/-. I used a coupon from Ace Hardware to save money on the utility pump which is the most expensive part of it all.

I hope this helps. If you need more details or have any questions feel free to PM me.

Put my 14 day dry hops into the current batch of BitterJO IIPA.

Based on the sample, I may have over hopped it during the brew. I was using up older hops, and was using the hop age calculator to adjust the quantities.. I may send a bottle out to get an actual IBU. It's beyond Ruination (Stone)

Trying LOB and trying to reduce the heat stress on my boil, I calculated my various grist ratios and sparges that lauter to 5.25 gal into the brew pot. Landing on 1.30 qrts/lb on both mash and sparge. For a 10 lbs grist.

Last edited:
Quick shopping trip to LHBS and Home Ripoff got me where I need to be tomorrow in terms of better insulation for mash tun and hardware for running a heat exchanger. And glad I went to Jon's in Puyallup, found out that he's running down entries for She-Brew 2019 on February 12th or so. Lager should be ready by then, and the APA and Brown Whatever if it turns out. I don't give a rat's behind what Tom Dick & Harry think of my beer, but I DO want to get some BJCP judges' opinions of it.

Yooper I hope you've entered She-Brew because I will make a valiant effort to make it down there for judging. From what I can see on the forums there's not many of us of the female persuasion up here in the Great PNW so I have a chance.

God luck in the She-Brew. I also don't care what anyone thinks of my beer as long as I like it....problem is more people are liking it.

Today I’m putting together a xxIPA recipe for my next batch to brew. Shooting for around 8.7% abv with a clean Chrisp mouth feel and lots of hop flavor and aroma. Going to use Simcoe, Ctz,
And Centenial hops.
Should be interesting

Just finished milling the grain for tomorrow's brewday. Cara whatever (that I did myself) tastes fantastic, and the roasted has a great toasty/brown flavor. Don't care what I get out of it,will be drunk and enjoyed.

Decided that having multiple temp control boxes not in the same area wasn't going to cut it.
So built and wired a new box that can control all my devices in one area: chiller (mini fridge), brew bucket, conical, and future ???
Now, to just find the final location for it
IMG_20190202_223822941.jpeg

Friday picked up an Evill Twin Grain Mill and 70lbs of grain. Then yesterday I made a Irish Red Ale and 14 gallons of Apple Cider.
I am making a Nut Brown right now and a Sweet Milk Stout when I finish with the brown.

Friday picked up an Evill Twin Grain Mill and 70lbs of grain. Then yesterday I made a Irish Red Ale and 14 gallons of Apple Cider.
I am making a Nut Brown right now and a Sweet Milk Stout when I finish with the brown.
Get those brews in the How Many Gallons of Homebrew in 2019 thread! Last year ws the most we've recorded in about 5 years, let's beat it again [emoji482]

Edit: there's also a cider thread in the cider forums [emoji4]

Today, i pulled the first dry hop from the NEIPA(4oz citra, 2 oz hüll melon, 2 oz el dorado) and added the second dry hops (6oz hüll melon and 2 oz el dorado)wednesday will be the final dry hopping(4 oz hüll, 2 oz el dorado, 2 oz citra)

Yesterday I brewed. Had the pot going while I worked on the car in the garage.
Today I:
Pitched US05 in 5 gallons of Rye KY Common.
Pitched s-23 in 5 gallons of Rye KY Common.
Pitched US05 in 3 gallons of Rye pale cream ale whatever... Gonna get dry hopped with a bunch of Citra.
Tonight I'll finish cleaning up the mess...

And yes, I'll put the total 13 gallons in the 2019 thread.

Surprise snow day as the boss shut us down due to weather (freight industry) so came home early to sip on some deliciousness and give the new lager a test. Might get some housework done as well....oh look, beer! Not enough time to brew since I'll have to make an effort to get to 2nd job this afternoon, darn it.

IMG_7625.JPG

About to dump a total of 11 oz of Citra and Mosaic hops into a 15 gallon batch of WC IPA.

Harvested some yeast about an hour ago after dropping temp down to 53 degrees and now waiting for beer temp to rise around 58 degrees before adding the dry hops to the fermentor.
Cheers

Back