Sprecher Motor Oil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horric29

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a keg of Sprecher Root Beer that's been sitting full (5 Gallons) at 35 PSI for about a week and a half. There's no carbonation in the root beer and the first three glasses tasted like motor oil. Real strong in taste, almost like we were straight drinking the syrup rather than carbonated root beer. This is the first time I've done this so I'm not sure what is wrong/what I should be doing. I don't even have a beer on-tap as of yet.

Based on the other threads, I'm using 10ft line with the stiring/mixing nozzles in the keg to control foam issues. I don't even see any bubbles per say in the mixture that's coming out. Any suggestions? I'm starting to think the syrup has seperated from the water and is laying at the bottom of the keg... I'm thinking I might need to shake the thing every day or another week or two in order to get it mixed up/carbonated... Ideas? Thanks! :tank:

It does sound like the syrup is sitting at the bottom and that those glasses were sucking it up without the water. Did you shake it yet and did it help?

Did you shake it when originally mixing the syrup and water?

(I'd actually expect the water/carbonation to be fine, just that it all needs to be mixed.)

It does sound like the syrup is sitting at the bottom and that those glasses were sucking it up without the water. Did you shake it yet and did it help?

Did you shake it when originally mixing the syrup and water?

(I'd actually expect the water/carbonation to be fine, just that it all needs to be mixed.)

I tried shaking the daylights out of it. It's a heavy keg! LOL... I'm going to disconnect and shake it every day for the next week and then give her hang!

I tried shaking the daylights out of it. It's a heavy keg! LOL... I'm going to disconnect and shake it every day for the next week and then give her hang!

Did you shake/mix it up when you first kegged it or was this after you had an issue. Sugar syrups are heavy and sometimes hard to get disolved into water (think of how many thread about low OG due to not mixing the top up water in enough!)

Did you shake/mix it up when you first kegged it or was this after you had an issue. Sugar syrups are heavy and sometimes hard to get disolved into water (think of how many thread about low OG due to not mixing the top up water in enough!)

I didn't mix (with a stir anyways) it initially. I put the syrup in and poured the water on top and then shook the keg. I probably should have stirred it with a spoon. I'll keep doing the 5 minute shake until I have it mixed up! Beginner's luck or stupidity! I thought about bleeding the CO2 and taking my giant wine spoon and giving it a good stir...

Back