Losing yeast to blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tall_Yotie

Reaction score
Hey all!

So I have 6 gallons in a bucket, not much head room, so a lot of krausen is getting into my blow off bucket. However, it looks like a starter. There is what appears to be a decent amount of yeast settling on the bottom of the blow off bucket.

Is this any concern? Am I going to lose too much yeast and have to add more, or should I be fine? It is fermenting like crazy now, but I am trying to ask a lot if it, so don't want it to give up early!

This was the first of 3 such empties, it was not this full of liquid when I started:

0412.JPG

Don't worry about that at all. There is plenty more to finish the job. RDWHAHB

That is prime top cropping yeast!!!!! If your able, make a starter with that yeast, according to whitelabs (Sunday Session 1-18-2009) that is the best yeast to repitch.

That is prime top cropping yeast!!!!! If your able, make a starter with that yeast, according to whitelabs (Sunday Session 1-18-2009) that is the best yeast to repitch.

Collecting it into a container with water and a hint of StarSan, so not certain if I want to try to collect it. Though I should try, to bad I didn't try with the first 3 dumps!

Back