racking to secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LIONS_FAN2539

Reaction score
been using a bottom drain spigot to rack to secondary. should i be siphoning and if so what is the rule when you near the trub? i have about1/4 " yeast in secondary prior to racking to bottle bucket.

A little trub in 2ndary should not be a problem, you will leave that behind when bottling (or bottle it anyway - makes for good "testing bottles!")

i have a autosiphon, and use it secondary to bottle bucket. my question is should a be using it primary to secondary or can i just open bottom spigot(like i have been).

As long as your not getting a bunch of trub inyo your secondary, go for it. This is why the spigots are there. Makes it easier and reduces the risk of contamination. As long as you attach a hose to the spigot to avoid any splashing into the secondary, all should be fine.

yeah i definitely agree with Beer4Breakfast...get an auto-siphon...i recently got one and can't believe how long i went without it.....probably my favorite piece of equipment....easy as 1,2,3....
it has an attached racking cane to filter out any unwanted trub....:drunk:

yes a hose is attached and its gently racked. i have a autosiphon. what is a racking cane?
oops 2x post sorry

LIONS_FAN2539 said:
what is a racking cane?
it's a little attachment that fits on the end of your siphon to filter out unwanted trub (pronounced "troob"), the auto-siphon comes with one attached already.....the little black plastic thingy on the end.....

I think i'm definatley going to be using a secondary from now on. In the past i've just been kegging so have been fine with just a primary ferment. However I bottled my last batch and after only a week of being in the bottles i've already got 1/2 cm of trub in the bottom of the bottle.

Will I still be able to drink this? Will it pour out of the bottle and leave the trub in there?

Some sediment in bottle conditioned beer is inevitable, it's also a defining characteristic of bottled homebrew. You just pour the beer off slowly and leave the last eighth of an inch (with the sediment) behind.

It's all good :D

yea, found that one out. thought was some type of cover/cap and took it off first time i used it.

Back