Airlock on Apfelwein fermenterhas stopped releasing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RFord150

Reaction score
I'm fermenting a batch of Apfelwein and the airlock has quit releasing after a week. The instructions call to allow fermenting for 1 to 3 months. I had planned on 2 months. Should I be concerned?

No.....An airlock is a only a valve to release built up co2, to keep from having what you are fermenting end up on your ceiling...that's it..it's not a gauge, a machine, it's nothing but a vent....So if it's not bubbling then there's no excess co2 to need to be released.

Some people don't even use airlocks....So no need to worry.

I'm wondering if the yeast read your instructions :p

I'm guessing when you say Apfelwein that you mean the fermented apple juice recipe? If the yeast is done fermenting, it's done fermenting. What's the gravity at right now? You can let it sit for about a month on it's lees then rack it and leave it for a few months before drinking it.

It is the fermented apple juice. The gravity is at 1.005. Is there a tried a true way to tell if it is done fermenting or is this product a time preference?

It is the fermented apple juice. The gravity is at 1.005. Is there a tried a true way to tell if it is done fermenting or is this product a time preference?

The tried and true method of determining if ANYTHING is done fermenting is two hydrometer readings over 3 consecutive days. If it stays the same, then it is usually finished.

If you took an hydrometer reading that's another good reason your airlock stopped bubbling, you released any excess co2.

Back