dry yeast summary help/info needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BPD

Reaction score
I know this has been intermittently addressed several times but I have compiled a list of some of the dry yeasts and their characteristics, from here, Palmer, and the yeast's product site's. Any additional info that anyone can add would be greatly appreciated as I have decided after a year and a half of brewing and not really knowing when I can brew with my schedule, that I do best with dry yeast. This way I can brew whatever when I do have the time. So I would like to learn the different yeasts their characteristics and when to use which yeast.

So below is in terms of use for ale yeasts with character from clean/American to Bready/English, correct me if I am wrong or the yeast is misplaced.
1. SA-05 clean crisp American ale
2 and 3. SA-04 and Nottingham more esters and "English ale" profile I'm not sure which is more "English" like and which is more "American" like
4. Windsor ale much more "English" like

This is my full list so far, please add and correct, and if you recognize your post/sentence fragment feel free to clarify. I eventually want to have a printable page for my notebook/logbook. Also if you can let me know which styles of beer a specific strain is best for I will add it as I will also be updating this from my own research.

Yeast Info
Safale US-05 is the same as Wyeast 1056/Chico California Ale Yeast/Chico Strain
A ready-to-pitch dry American ale yeast. Safale US-05 produces well balanced beers with low
diacetyl and a very clean, crisp end palate. Sedimentation: low to medium. Final gravity:
medium. Use if you are looking for a "clean" yeast profile, meaning about 90% of American ales
possible slight peach flavor that isn't present in the liquid version(only one post said this)

Safale S-04 Wyeast 1099/Whitbread
A well-known, commercial English ale yeast, selected for its fast fermentation character and its ability to form a very compact sediment at the end of the fermentation, helping to improve beer clarity. This yeast is recommended for the production of a large range of ale beers and is specially well adapted to cask-conditioned ales and fermentation in cylindro-conical tanks. Sedimentation: high. Final gravity: medium. Recommended temperature range of 64-75°F. A mildly malty and slightly fruity fermentation profile; not as tart and dry as 1098 and much more flocculent. Clears well without filtration. Low fermentation temperatures will produce a clean finish with a very low ester profile.

Safbrew S-33
A general purpose yeast, displaying both very robust conservation properties and
consistent performance. This yeast produces superb flavour profiles and is used for the
production of a varied range of top fermented special beers (Belgian type wheat beers,
Trappist, etc.). Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high.
Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with
alcohol contents of up to 7.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v.

Nottingham Ale (Lallemand) Bass?
The Nottingham strain was selected for its highly flocculant & relatively full attenuation properties. It produces low concentrations of fruity and estery aromas and has been described as neutral for ale yeast, allowing the full natural flavor of malt & hops to develop. A more neutral ale yeast with lower levels of esters and a crisp, malty finish. Can be used for lager-type beers at low temperatures. High attenuation and medium-high flocculation. Fermentation range of 57-70°F. The recommended fermentation temperature range of this strain is 14° to 21°C (57° to 70°F) with good tolerance to low fermentation temperatures (12°C/54°F) that allow this strain to be used in lager-style beer. With a relatively high alcohol tolerance, Nottingham is a great choice for creation of higher-alcohol specialty beers!

Windsor Ale (Lallemand) Wyeast 1968/Fullers
For "Bready" or yeasty English ales
Windsor ale yeast is a true English strain that produces a beer which is estery to both palate and nose with a slight fresh yeasty flavor. Beers created with Windsor are usually described as full-bodied, fruity English ales. Brewers choose Windsor to produce beers that range from pale ale to porter with moderate alcohol levels and the flavor & aroma characteristics of the best traditional ales. Depending on the composition of the recipe, Windsor demonstrates moderate attenuation which will leave a relatively high gravity (density). Recommended fermentation temperature range for Windsor is 17° to 21°C (64° to 70°F).
Produces a full bodied, fruity English ale, but suitable for wheat beers also, including hefe-weizen. Attenuation and flocculation are medium-low. Fermentation range of 64-70°F.

Munton and Fison Ale (Munton and Fison)
An all purpose ale yeast selected for a long shelf life. A vigorous starter, with neutral flavors. Medium attenuation and high flocculation. Fermentation range of 64-70°F.
Munton’s Yeast has very hardy characteristics and will tolerate a wide range of temperature variations during fermentation. For recipes with ingredients consisting of sugar as a source of fermentables, this yeast is very acceptable.

Cooper's Ale (Cooper's)
All-purpose dry ale yeast. It produces a complex woody, fruity beer at warm temperatures. More heat tolerant than other strains, 65-75¡F; recommended for summer brewing. Medium attenuation and flocculation.

Edme Ale (Edme Ltd.)
One of the original dry yeast strains, this produces a soft, bready finish. Medium flocculation and medium-high attenuation. Fermentation range of 62-70°F.

Saflager S-23 (DCL Yeast)
clean, low profile lager yeast
This bottom fermenting yeast is originating from the VLB (Berlin) in Germany and is known under the code RH. The strain is used by Western European commercial breweries and has been reported to produce lagers with some fruity and estery notes. Sedimentation: high. Final gravity: medium.
This yeast develops soft estery notes at the recommended temperature range of 48-59°F and more ale-like characteristics at warmer temperatures. From what I have read, I am speculating that this is a Kolsch or Alt-type yeast. This strain of yeast will produce a lager character at 54°F, and homebrewers have reported good results with this yeast. Given the recommended fermentation temperature range, these yeasts may not respond well to lagering (extended secondary fermentation at low temperatures) and probably should be maintained at 54°F for the duration of the time in the fermenter, approximately 2-3 weeks

other info
"I use dry yeast for 99% of my beers, for basic ales I use safale 05, for more british styles I us safale 04 and for basic lagers I use saflager.."

"The only time I use liquid yeast is if I am making a beer where the yeast drives the style, where certain flavor characteristics are derived from the yeast, such as phenols. Like Belgian beers, where you get spicy/peppery flavors from the yeast and higher temp fermentation. Or let's say a wheat beer (needing a lowly flocculant yest) or a Kholsch, where the style of the beer uses a specific yeast strain that is unavailable in dry form."

"If you are brewing gluten free, Fermentis (safale/saflager) yeasts are gluten free. They are grown on molasses plates as opposed to malt plates. And as long as you only use them for no more that 2-3 re-uses they still remain gluten free (evidently after the 3rd or 4th generation the yeast itself will spontaneously produce gluten.)"

Latest posts

Back