No fermentation. so I repitched yeast!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WheatbeerPY

Reaction score
I did an extract batch from northern brewer on sat. it was my 6th batch it was an american wheat. I used the dry yeast provided safale k-97. Well its now wednesday with no activity at all, so I repitched a notingham on top. Does anyone know what this will do to my final beer? Shuold I have waited? Racked into diferent bucket? Any advice for a rook?

Are you sure there was no activity? Was there a good seal on your bucket??? A leaky seal will cause the airlock to just sit there while your beer is fermenting happily away. Take a hydrometer reading......

As far as repitching, you didn't hurt anything.

You say you had no activity. Does this mean you checked the gravity reading? Cause if you're saying that there was no airlock activity well....that alones doesn't mean squat. I just brewed up a belgium wheat on Sunday and zero activity...but after 3 days the hydrometer showed that fermentation was nearly done. First batch to ever skip airlock activity for me.

So again, if you're saying you're going only by airlock activity then please take a hydrometer reading.

And of course if you already did that and you're positive there has been no fermentation then perhaps some stirring in addition to the repitching would help things. YOu know...to get the wort aerated.

+1 to all of the above

Probably most important though, what temp did you pitch the yeast at?
If you pitched too warm that thing would finish up in about 2 days.

The only way to know whats going on is by taking a gravity reading.

Back