Help w/ my West Coast Style IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splattsmier

Reaction score
Was looking for some feedback on my hop schedule for a West Coast-Style IPA I've been working on.

Use Time OZ Hop Variety AA » IBU

boil 60 min 0.650 Magnum ~ pellet 14 » 29.0
boil 10 min 2 Amarillo ~ pellet 9.3 » 21.5
boil 5 min 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 3.5
boil 5 min 1 Centennial ~ pellet 10 » 6.3
boil 0 min 1 Amarillo ~ pellet 9.3 » 0
boil 0 min 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 0
dry hop 14 day 2 Centennial ~ pellet 10 » 0
dry hop 10 day 1 Amarillo ~ pellet 9.3 » 0
dry hop 10 day 1 Galaxy ~ pellet 13.4 » 0
Bitterness 60.3 IBU

How does this sound? Any suggestions? I'm going for a citrusly, in-you-face american hop flavor and aroma, with SOME grapefruit but a balance of sweet/tropical fruit as well.

FWIW, it's a 5.5 gal batch, est. 70% eff., ~7% ABV, grist is 15lb Pale Ale Malt.

I assume you are set on your recipe and are just looking for hop schedule and hop amount advice?

boil 60 min 1 oz. Magnum
boil 15 min 2 oz. Centennial
boil 0 min 1 oz. Amarillo
boil 0 min 2 oz. Cascade
dry hop (in primary) 5 days 0.75 oz. Centennial
dry hop (in primary) 5 days 0.50 oz. Amarillo
dry hop (in primary) 5 days 0.50 oz. Galaxy
dry hop (in secondary) 5 days 0.75 oz. Centennial
dry hop (in secondary) 5 days 0.50 oz. Amarillo
dry hop (in secondary) 5 days 0.50 oz. Galaxy

I assume you are set on your recipe and are just looking for hop schedule and hop amount advice?

boil 60 min 1 oz. Magnum
boil 15 min 2 oz. Centennial
boil 0 min 1 oz. Amarillo
boil 0 min 2 oz. Cascade
dry hop (in primary) 5 days 0.75 oz. Centennial
dry hop (in primary) 5 days 0.50 oz. Amarillo
dry hop (in primary) 5 days 0.50 oz. Galaxy
dry hop (in secondary) 5 days 0.75 oz. Centennial
dry hop (in secondary) 5 days 0.50 oz. Amarillo
dry hop (in secondary) 5 days 0.50 oz. Galaxy

EyePeeA, are the boil addition changes just personal preference? Seems a little six of one half-dozen of the other to me, especially if the OP was happy with the original IBU calc. Just trying to learn, sometimes with recipe advice it's hard to tell what's individual preference and what is an actual flaw someone sees.

I do like the shorter dry hop times. I don't find I get any more aroma after about 5-7 days so I think 10/5 days would be better than 14/10. Not sure about doing one in primary and one secondary though. If I were using a secondary (for me only if washing yeast) I'd just do both additions there. If you've already thrown one addition in primary seems like a waste to transfer at that point.
:mug:

The Magnum is only there to hit IBUs, trying my hand at hop bursting technique. I've made a couple tweaks to the schedule to this point, looking any better?

Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
boil 60 min ½ Magnum ~ pellet 14.0 » 22.3
boil 5 min 1 Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 6.3
boil 0 min 1 Amarillo ~ pellet 9.3 » 1.3
boil 0 min 1 Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 1.4
post-boil 5 min 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 0.0
post-boil 5 min 1 Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 0.0
dry hop 10 days 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 0.0
dry hop 5 days 1 Galaxy ~ pellet 13.4 » 0.0
Bitterness 56.2 IBUs

EDIT: Post boil additions are during whirlpool, if that makes a difference.

Based on what I'm going for I think my selections would work well, mainly asking about quantity/timing.

The Magnum is only there to hit IBUs, trying my hand at hop bursting technique. I've made a couple tweaks to the schedule to this point, looking any better?

Usage Time OZ AA » IBU
boil 60 min ½ Magnum ~ pellet 14.0 » 22.3
boil 5 min 1 Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 6.3
boil 0 min 1 Amarillo ~ pellet 9.3 » 1.3
boil 0 min 1 Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 1.4
post-boil 5 min 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 0.0
post-boil 5 min 1 Centennial ~ pellet 10.0 » 0.0
dry hop 10 days 1 Cascade ~ pellet 5.5 » 0.0
dry hop 5 days 1 Galaxy ~ pellet 13.4 » 0.0
Bitterness 56.2 IBUs

EDIT: Post boil additions are during whirlpool, if that makes a difference.

Based on what I'm going for I think my selections would work well, mainly asking about quantity/timing.

There is probably some science to this, but I don't think it matters. Stone only does 60 min, hopback, and dry hop additions for all their beer. I follow the same route. I've never really understood why people do 10-20 minute additions. I'm sure there are small differences in flavor profiles but I want my bittering hops to add my bittering, and my flavoring hops to add flavor. You are using all good flavoring hops, and you have enough hops for an IPA. The rest is personal preference.

When I do an IPA I use one ounce of warrior for bittering followed by 4 ounces of flavoring hops during whirlpool. I then do 4 ounces dry hop for 4 days, two at room temp, 2 at cold crash. Rack to keg and force carb. That's my preference for a couple reasons. For what it's worth, the two times I've entered my IPA in comps, I got a 40 and 42, and won a gold and silver medal.

are the boil addition changes just personal preference?

Yes. I don't recall reading any of the OP's goals other than a mix of fruity and citrus. His original recipe targeted 60 IBUs, but that doesn't mean he wasn't flexible to change. Additionally, when I read that the OP wants,
in-you-face american hop flavor and aroma
then I think something more along the lines of the changes I made would get him there.

Not sure about doing one in primary and one secondary though. If I were using a secondary (for me only if washing yeast) I'd just do both additions there. If you've already thrown one addition in primary seems like a waste to transfer at that point.

When doing a multi-stage dryhop, it is not recommended to leave the prior additions in the beer. You are supposed to pull out, discard, and replace the prior dryhop additions with brand new ones. I've read (and now have confirmation from experience) that staggered dryhopping in 3-5 day increments offers the max aroma potential before the aroma starts to drop off. I also want ridiculously clear beers. So instead pulling out each addition to the primary and possibly introducing oxygen in the process, I use the opportunity to transfer to secondary. This racks the beer off the yeast and provides a fresh opportunity for a new dryhop stage, that I can later cold crash with gelatin for optimal clearing.

My most recent APA, I used the technique of "hop whirlpooling" instead of a straight flame out addition and it has made a huge difference in aroma and flavor. During cooling, I waited until my wort temp was <180F before adding my (0 min) additions and it preserves much of the volatile aromas! Centennial is a powerful hop! You will get a ton of hop potency from that in dry hop!

Back