Why does my homebrew not give me a hangover?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noobrich

Reaction score
Why do some purchased beers give me a hangover?

Anyone able to answer this.:mug:

You forgot to pitch the yeast. This is also why it tastes very sweet and doesn't get you drunk!:)
Where as the commercial brewers always use yeast.
Are you paying attention ABV?
Do you notice a particular style giving you hangovers more so than others?

If you've invented hangover-free beer, you might want to find some investors very quickly ;)

Because there's a heck of a lot of vitamin B (I think B 12?) in the yeast you are drinking, and vitamin b is one of the best things for curing/preventing hangovers...plus there are not a lot of adjuncts in your homebrew like mass quantities of cheap ingredients like corn and rice, which help to cause hangovers to begin with.

And since your beer more than likely is fuller bodied that the commercial beer you usually pound back, you actually may be consuming less beer than normal....

It's still possible to get seriously f- upped on homebrew, but usually the after effects are less nasty the next morning than with commercial beer.

I think it has something do with homebrew being "live" and most commercials being filtered. Yeast has a lot of B vitamins that you don't get after filtration. Apparently B's are used in metabolizing alcohol.

Also, homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

I can get hungover from homebrew; just takes a good bit more.

Obviously hydration is independent of homebrew/commercially produced and is a function of how much alcohol you consume. But as Revvy indicated, the yeast is reported to have something to do with it. Another reason not to filter homebrew. :D [ducking!]

To further the point, the next time you're at the convenience store, grab a pack of the hangover remedies and look at the contents. As either the primary or major ingredient you'll find "brewer's yeast". :mug:

Here's this cool thing from a Belgian Beer site with info on yeasties...

brewersyeast.jpg

Interesting stuff about the B vitamins and brewers yeast, but I've never had any trouble getting a hangover from homebrew.......maybe I'm just getting old.

NAAAA all these answers are Hogg Wash!!!

The real reason:

You have "HOME BREW"... that means you Drink when ever you dang well want, and if the buzz is wearing off you just pop another off the Keg or out of the fridge and into the glass.. There now ..... Hangover Cured~!!!!

NAAAA all these answers are Hogg Wash!!!

The real reason:

You have "HOME BREW"... that means you Drink when ever you dang well want, and if the buzz is wearing off you just pop another off the Keg or out of the fridge and into the glass.. There now ..... Hangover Cured~!!!!

That answer pretty much works for me...:drunk:

It's probably for several reasons. I find that I get headaches from a local brewery, and I am convinced it has to do with the short turn around time. I have never to this day gotten a hangover from homebrew, my own or that brewed by others.

Why do some purchased beers give me a hangover?

Anyone able to answer this.:mug:

I haven't noticed a difference between hangover potential of HB vs commercial. Maybe now you're drinking more beer more often, so your tolerance is higher.

I think its cause our Home Brew lacks"drinkability".

:D

The budweiser commercials crack me up. I always point out to my budweiser drinking friends that the nicest thing that budweiser can even come up with to say about their own product is ".....well.....it's drinkable".

Last weekend, I hauled a variety of my brew to a friends house and we got HAMMERED, big time.

I had decided to try that "Chaser" hangover prevention stuff. Funny, it seems to have worked. I don't know if the effect was real or a placebo, but I did not get hung over. I felt a little sluggish, but none of the usual effects I get when I drink that much.

:drunk:

I have heard commercial beer processing has some type of Co2 processing during fermentation?
That is also something that might cause a difference?

Also i have heard they add preserving agents (chemicals) to the stuff, that in itself im sure it could get things worse as far as hangovers are concerned.

Just stuff i have heard, nothing i could swear upon so you guys can prove me wrong.

One thing is sure, I too have a harder time getting a hangover from homebrew compared to commercial stuff.... tolerance is a *****? *LOL*

I've actually felt energized the next day due to the vitamins I suppose. I also think that the more flavorful the beer is-the more I drink it for the taste as opposed to the quenching of my thirst. this will make me drink water along with it-or at least afterwards so as to quench my thirst. The more water-the less hangover.

I didn't get the effect quite as much as my drinking buddy (who recently started brewing his own), but the Cream Ale I brewed would give him wicked hangovers. We weren't getting hammered, mind you, we were drinking 4 or 5. I would have a slight headache in the morning and he would be full-blown hungover. He even told me that it was the only homebrew I had made, up to that point and since, that gave him a hangover.

All I can figure is that it was from the adjuncts, corn and/or rice.

I'm pretty sure I could get a hangover from any of my beers, but I may have to try a littler harder than I would with a commercial beer.

A friend asked me why my beer didn't give him a headache, and a search turned this up:

This topic grabbed my attention, though not because I get headaches from draft beer. I had a measly four bottles of my homebrew Saturday night - two each of two different beers - and had a hellatious headache all morning on Sunday. Now I can easily drink a bottle of wine or mead and feel great the next morning so this headache had me puzzled.

I looked online and found a reply to a similar question. The reply was given by Ed Westemeier, "Award-winning beer writer, columnist, and brewing consultant, as well as Grand Master Beer Judge."

There is a chemical that causes headaches for about 1 person in every 15. It's a natural byproduct of certain strains of brewer's yeast, not something that is added to the beer. Switching to the products of a different brewery that uses a different strain of yeast for their fermentation will often clear up the problem.

Even though the breweries that have this difficulty are aware of it, they don't change their yeast because doing so would also change the flavor of their beer.

I should mention that every strain of brewer's yeast produces this chemical byproduct, but only a few of them have it at such a high level that it affects people. The Anheuser-Busch breweries just happen to be one of the highest.

So if all else fails, try a different yeast.

I used to drink whiskey and soda.
But I got hangovers.
So I switched to scoths and soda.
But I still got hangovers.
So I switched to brandy and soda.
But I still got hangovers.
So I gave up the soda.

-a.

I have never really drank enough homebrew to get drunk in one sitting. I am going to have to try this when I go home later tonight...will let you all know what happens.

I always got headaches from Draft Beer no matter who made it commercially. I have kegged all of my home brewed beer and can say that I have never experienced a headache from them. I have consumed enough to get shloshed, but the next day I have no head problem.

I used to believe it was the CO2 or the beer line crude. The article on the yeast strain as the culprit sounds interesting and I know Bud always gave the worst head bangin.

Interesting thread!

Salute! :mug:

I think we are missing something. More homebrew equals more gas and less hangover. Maybe the cure to a hangover is wicked gas!:ban:
I think i'm on to something.
or maybe i've had too much homebrew.

Also, homebrew contains more satisfactrons per serving, so you don't have to drink as much as you would a commercial beer to get to your satisfactron saturation.

This is awesome. I don't know why but this little quote is like my favorite thing I've ever read on this forum. :mug:

The last hangover I had off homebrew was when I had three of my 7.2% tripels (heh, a triple tripel) in a 90 minute period. I was drunk for a few hours and eventually passed out for a few hours. When I woke up I felt a bit ooky and slow but otherwise alright.

Correct me if I'm wrong,but the main hangover chemical in beer is methanol(not ethanol).Which comes from braking down the protien pectin.That takes place at high temp fermentation.Also can be done chemicaly,but i don't know the process there.So theoreticaly if you ferment under 70 you should be hangover free:D...Please excuse the horible speling.

Back