Post your infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got the ? asked to me and I don't know the answer. So little help yall, Dude asked if there is a foam in the top of his bottled hefe is that an infection? Like a ring of fermentation. I seem to think no, but I don't have a bottle in front of me to taste. He said he tasted one last night and that it tasted good. I would not think a ring of foam, like carbonation he said, would be a sign of infection, but rather bottled to soon. Am I right or crazy?

Just wondering if this is normal or the beginnings of an infection.

White rod shaped cells at the top of the carboy, no other signs in the rest of the brew.

image.jpg

I honestly don't know what I got here. Is it infection or something else? Had a very aggressive fermentation and blew the lid off my bucket on day two.

IMG_20160530_133228883_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160530_133235059_HDR.jpg

Yes, it sometimes can. It gets a bit dry looking & a bit firmer. But can be forced to sink. I've only had it happen a time or two, though.

You can probably harvest some yeast from it first if you want.
Just make sure you are sterile all around.
Boil a mason jar and metal spoon

Can someone please let me know if this is an infection? Noticed it about a day ago. Its a honey wheat ale, and it's been about 12 days in primary. This is my third ever batch, and I've never seen anything like this before. Thanks!

image.jpg

It's hard to tell absolutely with the infection, but if that whitish part isn't all reflection then it could be the start of something?

It's hard to tell absolutely with the infection, but if that whitish part isn't all reflection then it could be the start of something?

Yes, the whitish is reflection. I should've looked more into this thread, because now after seeing other pictures, I'm more hopeful that it's only CO2 bubbles. Transferring to secondary today or tomorrow, so I should know for sure then.

Thanks!

Can someone please let me know if this is an infection? Noticed it about a day ago. Its a honey wheat ale, and it's been about 12 days in primary. This is my third ever batch, and I've never seen anything like this before. Thanks!

Hard to tell from the picture - if the bubbles are unchanging and covered by a sight film, or pelicle, as seems to be the case, then this is early stage lacto and or aceto. Smell and taste will be big indicators as well. If there is an unpleasant sourness and/or spoiled dairy odors, then the prognosis is even more likely to point towards infection.

Hard to tell from the picture - if the bubbles are unchanging and covered by a sight film, or pelicle, as seems to be the case, then this is early stage lacto and or aceto. Smell and taste will be big indicators as well. If there is an unpleasant sourness and/or spoiled dairy odors, then the prognosis is even more likely to point towards infection.

Thanks. I transferred to secondary today and took a tasting. There was no off smell, and it tasted fine. There was a bit of tartness to it, but not in any way that indicates that it's a "bad batch." It may even be just the flavor of the beer.

This is 3/4 of a gallon of robust porter that wouldn't fit in the keg so I decided to let nature do its thang.
It was put into secondary about 8 months ago on completely forgot about.
So, what do you guys think, bad or good? Will it kill me? View attachment 359914

Damn, I wouldn't drink it!!!! Maybe could've bottled it as to not go to waste.

This is 3/4 of a gallon of robust porter that wouldn't fit in the keg so I decided to let nature do its thang.
It was put into secondary about 8 months ago on completely forgot about.
So, what do you guys think, bad or good? Will it kill me? View attachment 359914

What does it smell like ?

Take a hydro sample, then chill it.

The consensus of most is that if there is enough alcohol in it then it is unlikely to make you sick. Might give you a case of the runs but I doubt a hydro sample volume will hurt you.

Smell it. If it smells okay then I'd take a sip.

1st time fermenting in a carboy.
1st time using liquid yeast.
1st sour.
Is this white fluff krasuen?
Is it left over from the San star?
Assuming this is normal?
Used to brown.
Before ferm started
View attachment 359904
During ferm
View attachment 359903

First pick just looks like foam from starsan or maybe from pouring vigorously.

What yeast did you pitch? Second pic looks like krausen for a typical saison at my house.

First pick just looks like foam from starsan or maybe from pouring vigorously.

What yeast did you pitch? Second pic looks like krausen for a typical saison at my house.

White Labs WLP630 Berliner Weisse Blend

Lacto + Aceto infection (Commercial distillery, 750gal mash). Notice the film covered bubbles in the gaps of the aceto landscape.

102_0331.jpg

maybe ill sit on it for a little while longer.

That's what I would do. I've been listening to the sour hour a lot lately, and smelling it would be very helpful. Then also, if you have the ability, shooting a blanket of CO2 in there when you put the airlock back on. This helps avoid adding oxygen to a possibly very sensitive bacteria. Adding oxygen at this point can cause very nasty aromas and flavors. If you have vinegar then toss it.

Can anyone identify what's going on here? It's a maris otter/galaxy smash from 3 weeks ago. Went to dry hop it today and saw this. Just tasted it and it's maybe a little on the sour side? Not what I expected to taste. Not sure what I should do.

posinfect.jpg

If it doesn't taste horrible, maybe try to freeze condense it for fun?
Is that fermenting in a kettle?

Back