Apfelwein question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yesfan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had an extra pack of Nottingham yeast, so thought I would give Ed's Apfelwein a go. I did a one gallon batch:

1 Gal of Southern Home (BiLo brand) Apple juice. 100% from concentrate with absorbic acid as the only other ingredient besides the apple concentrate and water.

6.4 oz of brown sugar

half pack of Nottingham yeast.

Since I didn't want to waste the yeast, I bought a gallon of cranberry-raspberry juice cocktail and also used 6.4oz of brown sugar and the other half of the Notty yeast. I thought I had looked at the ingredients pretty well, but noticed the juisc cocktail has high fructose corn syrup and fumaric acid. How will those two ingredients impact fermentation? Will I even have a fermentation?

It will ferment. I don't know what it will taste like though-- honestly the cran-ras corn syrup stuff sounds terrible. Maybe you can freeze distill it and use it for air locks.

Got up this morning and see that the apfelwein is bubbling away nicely. Still nothing from the cran-raspberry. Is it because of the fructose and/or fumaric acid? If it's a bust, I'm only out a gallon so I'm not going to worry about it.

EDIT: Thought I would post a couple of pics.

The cran-raspberry.

20130317_083400_zpsd0c6b609.jpg

Apfelwein

20130317_083335_zps18852dd8.jpg

The Apfelwein smells pretty good despite the "rhino fart" comments I've read in other threads. Must be yeast related (I'm using nottingham).

Back