Who's brewing today? (9-21)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
I took a vacation day today to brew and I'm taking my first shot at an Ordinary Bitter:

6.75 lbs Maris Otter
.5 lbs Crystal 60

1.5 oz 4.5% fuggles at 60
1/2 oz 4.5% fuggles at 5

Recipes don't get much simpler than this, but since this is going to be a low ABV brew anyway, and I have yet to calculate my efficiency on any of the AG brews that I've done I guess now is as good a time as any. I'm planning on mashing at 150-152 for 60 min in my cooler/MLT (so no multi step or mash out).
Here's a good brew session! :mug:

Next up: Warrior Pale Ale on Sunday!

An Ordinary bitter? How utterly...ordinary. ;)

I'm brewing a couple AG's after work. Stunkelweizen and Sweet Baby Jesus Pale Ale. My older brother was visiting from L.A., and he loves that Pale...and went through a fu*king ton of it, so I need some more low-grav drinkin' beer.

:off: iamjonsharp and BrianCSA are coming over after work to drink some brew. Oddly enough---yesterday, I invited Jon over for the brew today...then, last night, I was working at the wine/beer shop, I got to talking to these two guys about DFH Peche while I was checking their beer out, and one of them mentioned that he was planning on brewing a berlinerweisse, and so it turns out they were actually iamjonsharp and BrianCSA. Small world, especially since I don't remember having seen them in there before.

I'll be racking my simple stout and rochefort clone today. I've got 4 fermenters full, but I"ll be brewing again Sunday. Not sure what yet, either a saison, imperial stout or IIPA.

Offtopic: Hey Evan, are you near Mendota, VA? I'll be there for a wedding next week.

ok all of you that use Brewsmith... I downloaded the trial of it in order to test out the water volume and temperature calculations because I've had some issues on past brews since I normally mash at whatever the hell I feel like and do a best guess as to what I need to bring my mash water to to hit my temp.

I obviously don't have something setup properly because the freakingg thing is telling me that I need to mash with 9 gallons of water :drunk:

Edit: I figured it out like 20 seconds after I posted this, I just needed to choose a different mash profile.

BREW ON!

seefresh said:
I'll be racking my simple stout and rochefort clone today. I've got 4 fermenters full, but I"ll be brewing again Sunday. Not sure what yet, either a saison, imperial stout or IIPA.

Offtopic: Hey Evan, are you near Mendota, VA? I'll be there for a wedding next week.

I have 3 in primary and 2 in secondary right now. I'll be bottling during my mash, I have to rack one to secondary. I'll be using the yeast cake from the Black Ale for my ordinary bitter.

ohiobrewtus said:
I have 3 in primary and 2 in secondary right now. I'll be bottling during my mash, I have to rack one to secondary. I'll be using the yeast cake from the Black Ale for my ordinary bitter.

Nice, I washed my English Ale yeast last night and this morning, so I have to decide if I'm gonna make a starter with it or with my still in the tube saison yeast... guess I should decide soon!

Just started this year's batch of Thunderstruck. Pumpkin is roasted...strike water is heating...measuring the grain...this is gonna be a good day!

Not using the steam system today - keeping things really simple with a single infusion. I have some errands to run while the mash does its work.

I'm brewing a smoked porter.

The day didn't start out so well...I dumped 2 lbs of home smoked Munich malt all over my <wet> gravel driveway as I was getting ready to crush it. So, I scrapped the Munich from the recipe completely and subbed with some extra 2-row. :rolleyes:

Other than that, it is going well. I just added my 60 min hop addition and now i'm chillin'. Haven't cracked a brew yet--maybe soon.

I will be doing a pumpkin spiced ale tomorrow. It is a variation of Yuri's recipe, but with a slightly different grain bill, variant on the hops, and no pumpkin... Basically the same spicing and yeast. I think I am going to take it to the bottom of the fermentation range to see how it effects the end product.

I finally got a batch in the fermenter last night after a few weeks off. My last batch took 2 weeks to ferment due to temp control issues, so I built a cooler which is doing really well this morning.

Last night's beer was an American Brown that I hope will come out with a clean, malty, slightly caramel flavor. Toward that end I used some Wyeast Scottish Ale yeast that also happened to come from my first yeast harvest/wash. Besides making my beer that much better I've found that harvesting yeast and making starters is a lot of fun- but I just love anything brew-related. :rockin:
This was also an opportunity to clean out the leftover specialty grains, so it might look like an odd combination...

Turkey Curse American Brown Ale

Type: Extract
Date: 9/9/2007
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer: Pope Schmope
Boil Size: 5.72 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: My Equipment
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.43 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 71.45 %
0.67 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 8.81 %
0.50 lb Caramunich II (45.0 SRM) Grain 6.58 %
0.50 lb Toasted Melanoidin (42.0 SRM) Grain 6.58 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 3.29 %
0.25 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.29 %
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 10.7 IBU
0.25 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 10.7 IBU
0.25 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (15 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
0.25 oz Crystal [3.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 Pkgs Scottish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1728) [Starter 125 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.014 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.65 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 23.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 20.6 SRM Color: Color

I was hoping to get the first brew going tonite or tomorrow, but some of my ingredients did not ship out yet, so I will miss this weekend. Gonna have to pull a late niter during next week.

Ryan_PA said:
I will be doing a pumpkin spiced ale tomorrow. It is a variation of Yuri's recipe, but with a slightly different grain bill, variant on the hops, and no pumpkin... Basically the same spicing and yeast. I think I am going to take it to the bottom of the fermentation range to see how it effects the end product.
Sounds tasty! That recipe is getting to be quite popular this year.

I'm all mashed in - had to pull a small decoction to reach my target temp, but all is well now. It smells soooooooo good!

I am brewing a Heffe with WLP380 and some coriander and sweet orange peel!! I mashed in at 124F about 30 minutes ago, resting at 153 now for about 45 mins. I get to use my new keggle this time!! My infusions ended up perfect, resting at the right temps, I would be lost without my custom made mashing spreadsheet!

POL

I'm bringing my Ordinary bitter (OB's OB... :D ) to a boil right now. I'm loving this keggle, Yuri. Thanks again!

I brewed a pseudo bock today.. :) Using Wyeast 1007 German Ale instead of lager yeast. Second batch this week. Brewed a Smithwick's clone on Monday.. Nice to have vacation to burn this week!! And what better to do with it than make more beer? :rockin:

ohiobrewtus said:
6.75 lbs Maris Otter
.5 lbs Crystal 60

1.5 oz 4.5% fuggles at 60
1/2 oz 4.5% fuggles at 5

Well I figured that an ordinary bitter should be... well... bitter. :D so I made the following hop adjustments with some that I had in stock:

2 oz 4.5% Fuggles at 60
1.5 oz 5% East Kent Goldings at 40
1.5 oz 5% East Kent Goldings at 15
.75 oz 4.5% Fuggles at 5

That knocked the IBU's up from the mid 20's to 71.6 according to Brewsmith. :rockin: If it hasn't been clear from my previous posts is should be clear from this one that I'm a bit of a hop head - plus these EKG's are approaching 6 months old in my freezer and I needed to find a brew to put them in and this classic English brew seemed fitting.

seefresh said:

Not really. About 275 miles away. But if you've got time to spare...

ohiobrewtus said:
Well I figured that an ordinary bitter should be... well... bitter. :D so I made the following hop adjustments with some that I had in stock:

2 oz 4.5% Fuggles at 60
1.5 oz 5% East Kent Goldings at 40
1.5 oz 5% East Kent Goldings at 15
.75 oz 4.5% Fuggles at 5

That knocked the IBU's up from the mid 20's to 71.6 according to Brewsmith. :rockin: If it hasn't been clear from my previous posts is should be clear from this one that I'm a bit of a hop head - plus these EKG's are approaching 6 months old in my freezer and I needed to find a brew to put them in and this classic English brew seemed fitting.

That sounds much better, if a little less ordinary. :D

You guys are making me jealous. I brewed on Tuesday and will try to again on Sunday. I got the ingredients today for Oatmeal Stout and American Amber. I can't decide which to brew first. I was gonna spice the Amber ala pumkpin pie but may just hop it up with some C hops. Tomorrow I gotta transfer my English IPA to secondary and dryhop. I guess today's just for drinkin! :mug:

First try at an AG tomorrow. Sitting on HBT all day today to try to get it all sorted out. Kinda feeling overwhelmed because I also made up my own recipe. It is for a spiced brew. I know, I know, but that is just how I roll.

Feel free to comment...

Umpkin Ale
Spice, Herb, Vegetable Beer

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/31/2007
Brewer: Jake
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.54 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
0.50 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

5 minuted to go:
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp allpice

at flameout:
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp allpice
4 tsp vanilla

Kayos said:
Umpkin Ale
Spice, Herb, Vegetable Beer

Type: All Grain
Date: 8/31/2007
Brewer: Jake
Boil Size: 6.41 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (7.5 gal) and Igloo Cooler (10 Gal)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 61.54 %
1.50 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 15.38 %
1.00 lb Honey Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 10.26 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
0.50 lb Special Roast (50.0 SRM) Grain 5.13 %
0.25 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.56 %
1.00 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (30 min) Hops 6.9 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

5 minuted to go:
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp allpice

at flameout:
2 cinnamon sticks
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 tsp allpice
4 tsp vanilla

I love a good upmkin ale :D

I'm bottling a Magic Hat #9 clone this weekend. I don't plan on brewing until the first week of October. It will be AG attempt number 3. AG is so much more rewarding. Good luck on your brew day though!

mmmmm umpkin beer :mug:

Brewed a Barleywine today. I took 7.25 gallons of the first runnings from the IPA we brewed at Stix, 20&#176; plato, took it over to my brew partners house today and we boiled it down to 5 gallons. We added FW hops (Chinook) Columbus for bittering and Amarillo/Simcoe for flavor/aroma. We ended up at 1.092 post boil and about 90 IBUs. Not having to mash in sure made for a quick brewday!

Evan! said:
Not really. About 275 miles away. But if you've got time to spare...

lol, already driving 16 hours to get to Mendota. These friends are lucky I like them so much! Maybe next time :D

Back to the topic: My belgian abbey II yeast is being washed right now, just racked my rochefort clone. Went by the LHBS to get sanitizer, wound up spending 60 bucks on a 50lbs of 2 row, 5lbs of biscuit, 5lbs of munich and some bottle caps.

Gonna get my saison WLP566 starter going tonight for Sunday's brew.

I brewed a belgian pale last night. Pretty simple recipe:
10# belgian pils
12 oz. caramunich
8 oz. belgian munich (8 L)
(a Jamil recipe)

1 oz EKG @ 60
.5 oz. Styrian @ 40 and 10 min
pitched w/ wyeast belgian ardennes

I kind of crapped out with this one because I decided not to make a starter. I also added an extra 12 oz. of dextrose to kick it up a bit. Meh, we'll see. Hopefully the fruitiness won't be too much. It is already bubbling after less than 24 hrs though, so I got that going for me...

On the plus side, I got my AG brew time below 5 hrs, which was pretty sweet because I still had time to do other things last night, such as satisfying the GF. :ban:

OKAY, so my brew day went with ease with my new keggle and such, but I have a question! I used a 32qt, small diameter aluminum pot previously and now I have a 15 gallon keggle that is HUGE. SO, I am able to boil more vigorously, also there is alot more surface area... I noticed that I boiled off more than I have previously. Anyone else notice this before? What did you do to help rectify the issue? Should I add more grain, plan to run off more, and then I am kosher?! It looks like a nice heffe... anyone use the WLP380 before?

found a great recipe for a german brown with pilsner as the base malt, but lots of vienna and munich to back it up.

this is the second time Im doing this one. the first one didnt last long at all

I bought ingredients for my Brown. At the store they put in 0.25 lb of Roasted Barley instead of Special Roast, and so when I found out I added the Special Roast as well. The brown is going to be a little darker and with a slight roasted hint to it, but it should still work. It will have the full range of dark malts...pale chocolate, chocolate and now roasted barley.

I put the ordinary bitter to bed with an OG of 1.040. Pitched it on a yeast cake and attached a mondo blowoff tube. It should be kicking and screaming by the time I wake up in the morning.

Well it's Sat. already, but I'm doing the Brown Porter finally. This assumes the mice haven't gotten into the freezer.

Back