Keezer question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're talking about a standard chest freezer with the lid on top, then consider this: if you put a tower on the top, when you open the freezer the tower will add several issues.

First and foremost, if that freezer is against the wall as most are the tower will limit how far you can open the lid.

One needs to also consider that a normal sized freezer can have upwards of 5 tapped kegs. That's a pretty large and expensive tower.

Also, while the lids on those are fairly sturdy, I'm not sure they are up to having a large, heavy tower/tapper/beerline bundle on it.

The short answer is this: yes you can but there are a variety of issues that make the collar method preferable.

Upright freezers avoid those issues.

If you are talking the smallest of chest freezers with an almost square footprint. Turn the freezer 90 degrees so the lid opens to the left or right. This allows you to open the lis with no wall interference. A 2 tap tower with 2 kegs and CO2 in the freezer should work, but the collar will be much cheaper.

Yes it's possible, but kornkob pointed out the most obvious drawbacks.

I had my collar built, painted, mounted and drilled out in about a 1/2 day. The collar also allows you to be flexible in adding more faucets.

I started out with this:

Chest_6.JPG

And ended up with this:

Freezer_WTaps_1.JPG

Freezer_WTaps_3.JPG

Plus, the collar gives you added head clearance so you can stuff in bags of hops, etc...

missing link said:
If you are talking the smallest of chest freezers with an almost square footprint. Turn the freezer 90 degrees so the lid opens to the left or right. This allows you to open the lis with no wall interference. A 2 tap tower with 2 kegs and CO2 in the freezer should work, but the collar will be much cheaper.

Careful with that-- many freezers don't work at all or break if you turn themon their sides and run them. Something about oils in the refridgerant.

*cue the fridge experts*

kornkob said:
Careful with that-- many freezers don't work at all or break if you turn themon their sides and run them. Something about oils in the refridgerant.

*cue the fridge experts*

I don't think he meant turn it on it's side, rather, just change the orientation of the freezer.

But yes, most freezers (and refrigerators) need to be kept in the position they were intended.

You can reduce the clearance problem by putting the tower(s) in the top close to the side of the freezer as suggested by ML. I have a collar on my 5 cu. ft., but the taps are on one side. That way, when I swap kegs, I don't have to worry about hitting the taps.

Or you can put the tower(s) towards the front of the lid. Nothing says they have to be at the back.

KK has a good point, in that, most freezers have a very thin metal shell and are injected with foam. You would need to reinforce the lid, either inside or use a plate on the top.

Back