How long can it go with Fruit???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RIC0

Reaction score
Ok so my imperial coconut stout was in primary for 2 weeks then racked to secondary and I added french oak chips as well as real toasted coconut. (I peeled, cut and toasted myself)

It's been in the secondary for 2 weeks and the gravity was at 1.046. After speaking to the brewmaster at the local micro brew he said, get another smack pack of the same wyeast, toss it in and let it sit as this should bring the abv up to where it needs to be and get the gravity down to around 1.030. Right now 5.75% abv is not what I want as this stuff should get up around 8 or 9.

My question is how long should I let it sit with the coconut, oak chips and fresh addition of yeast? I"m thinking 2 weeks then start checking gravity but not sure if letting it sit too long will make it start to get off flavors from the coconut??

Help

wow nobody has a clue???

Will take a gravity reading today and one on Sunday and if it's the same then she's considered done I guess.

edit.... Took a gravity reading and it's at 1.040

Tossing in another pack of the same yeast will only waste your money. You need to try and figure out why your ferment is stuck. Some things to ask yourself are (and this is probably not a complete list):

- Is the temperature too low?
- Did you aerate?
- What yeast? Did you use enough?
- What temperature did you mash at? Is your thermometer correct?

Tossing in another pack of the same yeast will only waste your money. You need to try and figure out why your ferment is stuck. Some things to ask yourself are (and this is probably not a complete list):

- Is the temperature too low?
- Did you aerate?
- What yeast? Did you use enough?
- What temperature did you mash at? Is your thermometer correct?

thanks for the reply calder.

The main fault is behind me and that was lack of a starter and with that being said I probably should have doubled up on the wyeast since I did not use a starter. Lesson learned. I brewed beer 20 years ago before we had internet forums with vast amounts of information and knowledge like we have today. This imperial coconut stout is was my 3rd batch since I got back into it. A williams brewery extract kit.

My main question is how long can this secondary sit with the coconut???

My main question is how long can this secondary sit with the coconut???

Probably months. I know it is a different type of beer, but I keep my Lambics on fruit for 8 months.

Back