raise ABV in honey brown?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALPS

Reaction score
I'm making a honey brown ale this weekend (Northern extract kit) and am thinking of attempting to raise the alcohol content.

The recipe calls for 1# honey at 0 min. Could more be added to provide more fermentables? I'm thinking another 1/2 - 1 lb at 60 min. I don't necessarily want more honey taste in the beer, just more alcohol and I know adding more malt extract can throw off the balance with the hops.

Any thoughts? Am I way off here or is this a good place to start?

Any additional sugar will throw off the hops.

It's difficult to say how much more hops you'll need to offset the 1 additional lb of honey at 60 mins since I don't know what AA% you've used. Plus I don't have any calculation programs with me at the moment.

I am certain someone with promash or recipator and such will be able to help you more precisely than I could at the moment.

I don't think you can get a precise number when it comes to something like honey. There are no standards for honey, so you never really know how much fermentable sugar is going to be in it.

However, if you want higher alcohol but not more honey flavor, then I would avoid adding more honey. Instead, you might want to add some additional malt extract to get the extra sugar.

-walker

Back