First All Grain Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Going to get my Mash Tun this weekend and want to do my first AG Brew on Saturday. My questions is what would be an easy first all grain style? Some people say hefes and dunkels others say blondes others say cream ales. Any opinions?

My first was lemon-lime hefeweizen. Not because I thought it would be an easy brew, but because it was what I wanted to drink. I say pick what you think you'd enjoy and make it. Unless you have a fridge/freezer, lagering is out of the question. But, there are lots of great recipes on HBT. All I do is peruse the categories I'm interested in and pick a beer I want to make (and bookmark a few for later, too).

Are you batch sparging or fly? Not that it makes much of a difference. Other than temps my mash technique doesn't change at all for different beers unless I am doing one with a lot of wheat... then I add rice hulls. So I say pick your favorite style and brew on!

IMHO, if you start with somthing you know like an APA, then you can look at the AG brewday and see what to do better next time. Is my beer dry or bitter or hoppy or sweet, and what did I do to cause this? Keep tweeking and go from good to great!! It's a good feeling getting a new MLT, kinda makes you feel like you just moved up a notch.

For starter beers, either extract or all-grain, I like to recommend hoppy beers. If you mess something up by chance the hops can often times hide it. I'm not suggesting a 9.5% IIPA but rather a Pale Ale or maybe a simple IPA. Or just get a style that you like and go with it. Cheers!

Back