Fermentation too hot!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieBull

Reaction score
I brewed a nut brown ale this past Saturday using white labs dry English ale, pitched at 67f. I had to go out of town for the following two days and returned to find a good rapid fermentation happening but a temp of 73f. Now after only 4 days it appears that the primary is complete.

Should I add more yeast and cool it down or is it too late?

I brewed a nut brown ale this past Saturday using white labs dry English ale, pitched at 67f. I had to go out of town for the following two days and returned to find a good rapid fermentation happening but a temp of 73f. Now after only 4 days it appears that the primary is complete.

Should I add more yeast and cool it down or is it too late?

At this point the bulk of the fermentation is complete, which means the yeast have imparted most of their character. That is only a few degrees warm for that yeast. If I were you, I'd just do an extended primary to let the yeast clean up as much off flavor stuff as they can.

At this point the bulk of the fermentation is complete, which means the yeast have imparted most of their character. That is only a few degrees warm for that yeast. If I were you, I'd just do an extended primary to let the yeast clean up as much off flavor stuff as they can.

well put, pabloj13!

I'd add that as long as your temp rise was more than say 24 hours after pitching, you probably won't have too much in the way of esters. Reproductive phase is most active in the first 24 in most cases, from what I've read.

It may need to sit warm for longer than primary. do you bottle? If so I'd let it sit at least a month in primary and 1 month in the bottle before cracking more than 1 or 2.

There may be no off flavors, but banana will take at least 3-4 months to clear up.

Back