Really big starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
As I am transitioning into making 10 gallon batches the numbers in Mr. Malty are HUGH to me as far as cell count numbers.

to make 10 gallons of my big quad I will need 3 tubes of yeast and a 15 liter starter?!?!

Do people begin making starters in there carboys? can I do a stepped starter so I do not need to purchase so much yeast per batch?

Thaaaaat doesn't seem right unless you have really old yeast. What's the production date?

Also, do you have a stir plate?

yeah i would just keep stepping it up by doing a starter then decanting and starting all over.

Brew smaller beers first and harvest the yeast. Although, with my 10 gallon batches, I always pitch two different yeasts since I'm using two different carboys. Ya know, for science, n' stuff.

Thaaaaat doesn't seem right unless you have really old yeast. What's the production date?

Also, do you have a stir plate?

You are right, I forgot that Quad's are Ales, not Lagers. My yeast numbers were way too high.

Elfmaze said:
As I am transitioning into making 10 gallon batches the numbers in Mr. Malty are HUGH to me as far as cell count numbers.

to make 10 gallons of my big quad I will need 3 tubes of yeast and a 15 liter starter?!?!

Do people begin making starters in there carboys? can I do a stepped starter so I do not need to purchase so much yeast per batch?

Use a stir plate...if you don't have one, make one. I bought some yeast that expired a month ago, and rescued it. (see pic). U can step it up in smaller quantities, and produce about 600 billion cells in about 36 hours.

ForumRunner_20120213_155016.jpg

Back