Bottle shelf life ( or torture of noob)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozyborn

Reaction score
Back in 1993 my dad was into homebrewing. Always used dark glass bottles and sterilized everything to prevent any "wandering taste". Well I was cleaning out a closet that I thought was full of old empties.

But noooooo. 3 cases of Dunkel, german dark, honey lager, european cream ale, etc.

I would hate to toss this out since those were beers I used to love. But I gave up drinking over a decade ago when I decided to have kids. (I refuse to drink around them so)

I would hate worse to give these to my friend and sicken them or forever destroy any taste they have on trying these.

I wonder how much it would cost to ship to 85383. I would take it off your hands as long as shipping wasnt too bad. If there is beer in there, it wont kill anyone or make them sick.

Since nothing pathogenic can grow in beer there is nothing that can harm anyone. There may be some awesome beer in those bottles.

To put it in perspective, in the Dec 07 Zymurgy Charlie Papazian reviewed bottles of homebrew going back to the first AHC competition that he had stored, and none of them went bad, some had not held up but most of them he felt were awesome...We're talking over 20 years worth of beers.

This is a great thread about one of our guys tasting 4-5 years of his stored brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/revisiting-my-classics-160672/

And I brewed an og 1.150, 150 IBU barleywine that I won't be opening for 5 years.

Not to mention the fact that there are vertical tasting for certain beers like Stone epic, where people collect each years beer and then sample a flight of them going back in time.

Back