NB Bourbon Barrel Porter vs. AHB Whiskey Barrel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msinning

Reaction score
I've read a lot about the Bourbon Barrel Porter from NB but haven't heard much about AHB Whiskey Barrel Porter. I'm thinking about ordering one of the kits but i'm not sure which one to get. Any suggestions?

I've read a lot about the Bourbon Barrel Porter from NB but haven't heard much about AHB Whiskey Barrel Porter. I'm thinking about ordering one of the kits but i'm not sure which one to get. Any suggestions?

I think the AHB kit is fairly new so there are probably not going to be a lot of reviews on it yet. But the recipe's look fairly close to each other so I'm sure either one would be fine...err..GREAT!

Let me know how this turns out. I got a buddy who is currently fermenting the bourbon barrel porter I have high hopes for it.

I think im gonna take my chances and try the Whiskey Barrel. I don't think i'll be disappointed, I haven't been yet with there kits!

Midwest makes one also, I have it sitting in the secondary right now. Truthfully I don't think you will go wrong with either of them.

Ordered the AHB Kit last night and hope to brew it this weekend. Should be ready just in time for Christmas:mug:

OMFG, popped a couple yesterday and a few more today and this is the best beer I have ever made even the wife agrees and she doesn't like beer. It is smooth with a slight hint of the Makers Mark that I added. This is a keeper, I'm thinking about brewing it's big brother: Austin Homebrew Supply

Highly recommended.
Al

I've brewed the NB Bourbon Barrel twice as well. I use Makers Mark, and deviate a little by soaking the oak chips longer than specified. I give out bottle and growlers to friends and family fro Christmas as I'm not a whiskey/bourbon drinker. I've been told its excellent tho'

Hey, If I remember (it's been a while since I brewed this kit) I soak the chips for 1 to 2 weeks in a 1 liter flask. On that note, the chips are solid, so I'm not sure if their is any permeation into the wood or not.

Brewed the NB bourbon porter recently and it turned out great. Used 20oz of Makers vice the recommended 16oz but other than that followed the recipe. Brew this beer you will be happy with it.

Back