First all grain batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ewienclawski

Reaction score
I'm about to brew my first all grain batch this weekend! I just have a question. Should I go out and spend the $50 and make a lautering tun (which I am perfectly willing to do) like I read in "How To Brew" by John Palmer, or can I just use a grain bag? What are the pros and cons?

My advice would be to go get the parts and build your MLT out of one of the orange Igloo coolers you can get at Home Depot. Buy a 10 gallon cooler as you'll regret getting a 5 gallon the first time you want to make a "big" beer.

They are cheap to make, and you can get 98% of the parts right at Home Depot. the only thing you'll need to find elsewhere are the stainless fender washers, which I had to get at fastenal.

Follow this link: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/

Thanks for the info. So you're saying no to the grain bag?

Yes, you will be much better off with the MLT. Your efficiency will be better with it as well. There are other spots online to find how to convert coolers. I just did mine not long ago and it worked out great!

GOOD LUCK!!!:mug:

I bought a rectanglular 52qt Igloo from Target for $19.00. Made a bulkhead w/ a 1/2 x 3/8 brass bushing, some brass washers & a couple of o-rings ( I did tool out a "shelf" for the o-rings) then did the supply line manifold thing- getting 80%+ efficiencies. Spend the dough, you won't regret it.

-d

I know the DIY'ers will hate me, but I'd just buy the cooler bulkhead kit from NB. LINK

I spent a bunch of time and gas running around looking for the stainless steel washers and silicon o-rings with no luck. I ended up getting the kit and am very happy I did. If you're at home depot for the cooler and they have everything, great. If not, just order the kit. my .02.

Good luck on your first brew!

Good suggestion. I did NB cause I lived in Milwaukee at the time so I could just run over there and be done with it. Just impatient I guess.

Back