1st Lager...w/ issues!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFB

Reaction score
Just brewed a "Sam Adams Boston Lager clone" and have a couple of questions.:confused:
Here's the recipe:
6.6# Light LME
.5# Crystal (60L)
2 oz. Tettnanger (45 min)
.5 oz. Hallertau (10 min)
.5 oz. Hallertau (5 min)
Irish moss
Saflager S-23 (2 packs-rehydrated 1 @ too high a temp, pitched, no activity @24hrs. Dry pitched 2nd, steady airlock activity @48hrs)
Fermenting in modified fridge @ 60F, trying to ease it lower

1. There were no gravity targets w/ the recipe--any suggestions?

2. My SG reading seems high w/ the amount of fermentables in this--1.102
Wouldn't this end up with about a 9% ABV?

3. I read--a little late--that S-23 can end up with some weird esters & fruity flavors. Any recommendations on how to control this?

4. When should I do a diacetyl rest, before or after primary is complete?
I have read several differing opinions on the threads. I know airlock activity doesn't give you the full story on fermentation but if I need to rest it B4 primary is complete, I need a target!!!

Your infinite (finite?:drunk:) wisdom is appreciated!!!

BTW, your posts saved my nerves w/ the long lager lag...I love my ales!!!

I'm testing a lager right now with S-23. Hope the fruity thing is not too much at 50F.

D-rest after primary is finished. If the primary wasn't finished when you get to the d-rest, it will be when the rest is done! Just check the gravity after 1 or 2 wks to know if it's finished.

1. Targets:
Sam Adams OG is 13 Plato (SG 1.052) and say it has a ABV of 4.9% so it finishes around 1.014

2. What volume of beer are you making? Shoot for 1.052 OG. Are you sure your OG is right?? Seems too high for only 6# of LME. Is your fermenter marked for volume. If it is fill it up to 5 and call it good. You should be fine.

3. I have fermented 4 lagers in the last 6 months with Saflager and have had no probs. Keep your temp about 50f and you'll be fine. Let it ride.

4. Have not had any Diacetyl issues but when its down to about 1.015 bring it up to room temp for a couple days, let the yeast clean up after themselves and call it good. Then use your patience and lager that bi for a couple months. By then it should be blazing hot out and a crisp lager will be just what the doctor ordered.

I triple checked my hydrometer reading, had my Father-in-Law triple check it, twirled the hydrometer in the sample jar, checked again, took the alcohol scale to compare (12.5%)... I know. It's high. Not sure whats up.

We boiled about 2.5 gallons, got an INCREDIBLY fast cold break by using boiled water put in sterile rubber gasket sealed plastic containers in the freezer ice. Ice/ cold water (wasn't totally frozen!) brought the volume up to just over 3 gallons. Went from boiling to 80 almost instantly!!!:rockin:
Broughyt the volume up to just over five galons after straining wort through a bag.

Thanks a million for the saflager reassurance and all the info. This is our fourth batch and we are already planning to expand operations. The addiction has set in!!! What do you secondary in? We were planning to just use another 6 gal bucket, but some people say the ogygen in the headspace causes nasty issues.

I AM A *******!!! WOW... forgot we took a sample before we reached full volume. We were at about 3 gal, not 5! Wort took forever to strain through the bag, I had to crash for work & my FIL took over. Feel stupid & need to get another reading ASAP. Thanks for the help.

Back