Yet another newbie stupid question about my possible ruined beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikedevilsfan

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I made my first batch of beer tonight. Used a dry yeast packet with no instructions on it. Warmed up the water to 85 degrees.
Long story short, I stirred they yeast in the water big time. Is the beer ruined or the yeast rather. Will I need to re-pitch?
Any help would be much appreciated.
-Michael

You're probably OK. Give it a couple days and see what's happening.

Did you take an OG reading?

What kind of dry yeast?

What's your ferment temp (the beer, not the air)?

I did and it was normal og rating. Can't remember 10.6?
The yeast was Safale-05. The problem is I stired it until all the clumps were out like an idiot.
The temp is around 80.

Thanks for the replies people I appreciate it.

staticmap

I have put my yeast in straight right after cooling the wort. Twice now. I am new too. Seems to be fine. Done the same on my 2 wines as well and it has worked. No hydrating and what not.

Hey guys,
I made my first batch of beer tonight. Used a dry yeast packet with no instructions on it. Warmed up the water to 85 degrees.
Long story short, I stirred they yeast in the water big time. Is the beer ruined or the yeast rather. Will I need to re-pitch?
Any help would be much appreciated.
-Michael

You did well. You are just worrying to much. You would have had to beat the yeast with a kettle to harm it. All you did was rehydrate. Here is the link to the Fermentis site with the data on their yeasts.
http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/homebrewing/product-range/

In terms of stirring the yeast, you didnt necessarily do anything wrong. And rehydrating dry yeast can be done with luke warm water.

I suggest dropping your fermentation temp down to 65-70 degrees as soon as possible. Safale 05's recommended fermentation temps are 59-75. Higher fermentation temps than recommended can produce off-flavors.

Your OG was likely 1.060 not 10.6. And while opinions differ, I prefer to wait until I get a liquid temperature of around 70 before adding the yeast and holding between 65-70 for pales and ipa's.

Your problem isn't going to be from smacking the yeast cells around a bit while rehydrating, it's going to be from fermenting so stinking hot.

Get that batch down to 65-67*F ASAP. 80*F is going to give you a load of off-flavors and fusel alcohol (the kind that gives you a nasty headache).

You did well. You are just worrying to much. You would have had to beat the yeast with a kettle to harm it. All you did was rehydrate. Here is the link to the Fermentis site with the data on their yeasts.
http://www.fermentis.com/brewing/homebrewing/product-range/

Wow thanks for the information. The site said to stir gently.
I guess why I freaked out, was I read in the How To Brew book and it said "don't stir". I'll let everyone know how the beer turns out. It's fermenting at around 72 degrees in my dark pantry.
Thanks so much everyone!:mug:

I guess why I freaked out, was I read in the How To Brew book and it said "don't stir". I'll let everyone know how the beer turns out. It's fermenting at around 72 degrees in my dark pantry.

It may be 72*F in your dark pantry, but inside the bucket/carboy, it's as much as 80*F. You need to cool it down somehow if you want a clean ferment.

^^^Cool it down. Make a water bath from a plastic tub and some ice / frozen water bottles / ice packs. Then, RDWHAHB repeatedly.

Another one for COOL IT DOWN MORE ASAP! Fermentation will increase the temperature of the wort. Too warm and you will get fusel alcohols. This will give the beer an alcohol bite that will be difficult if not impossible to get rid of. It may mellow a bit with age.

Fermentation temperature control is one of the most important things you can do to make your beer better.

Research "swamp coolers".

Update: The beer is resting at 70 degrees and there is fermentation taking place. Airlock is bubling and everything looks good.

I am relying not only on a digital thermometer on the inside of the pantry but also the stick on kind on the carboy. It says 70 degrees. I have central air that goes in there as well.
All seems well ----?

yeah thats a bit of a misnomer, more opinion than fact. ive stired all my dry yeast when rehydrating.....no problems

thus far you seem to be doing a lot better than most. when i made my first batch i pitched the yeast late. didnt hydrate it at all, didnt areate and fermented at too high a temp. it was still beer when all was said and done. just keep your temperature in the proper range for fermentation to start then bring it down a coulpe degrees and let the yeast do their job. eventually it'll be beer.

Back