Celery Soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasoncann

Reaction score
Celery Soda - Alton Brown

Video starts at 2:25
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=___wQ9cvsEA]YouTube - Good Eats S12E2 Celery Man (2/2)[/ame]

Celery Soda Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

Ingredients
2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup water
2 tablespoons freshly ground celery seed
Soda water

Directions
Place the sugar and the water into a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir to combine. Continue to stir frequently until all of the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the celery seed, cover and allow to steep for 1 hour. Strain though a fine mesh strainer into a heat-proof container and place in the refrigerator, uncovered until completely cool. Place in an airtight container and store for up to 6 months.

To use, add 2 tablespoons of syrup to 1 cup soda water and stir to combine.

Don't let the celery seed in this put you off. I made a bottle of this on Saturday. I am enjoying some as I type here. This was a big hit with most of my friends. TRY IT! :)

How would you make this if you wanted to naturally ferment yourself in bottles? Could you just use water instead of soda water and just add an appropriate amount of yeast and bottle?

Where do you get FRESH GROUND celery seed? I'm assuming you are not supposed to use the just normal celery seed in the spice isle at a large supermarket.

Dug-

That would be correct. Just substitute regular water for the bubbly stuff, add yeast, and bottle.

As for the fresh ground celery seed, buy whole celery seed and grind it yourself.

Well, a clean rock would probably work. But a mortar and pestle is the traditional kitchen tool. In a pinch, I've used a hammer and a paper towel.

mortar and pestle works but its some work. a coffee grinder (sans ground coffee [well cleaned]) is a good find at thriftshops...usually under $5

Latest posts

Back