SMaSH APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should have seen the face of the guy at my LHBS when I put 10 pounds of Vienna on the counter... "What kind of recipe will you brew will all this!?!?"

Not to be a jerk, but I'd probably have to question the knowledge of that dude. Vienna is the base of a ton of beers, and is absolutely awesome. Or maybe my LHBS specializes in SMASHs. Our local brew group has done 7-8 in the last year.

I just kicked a keg of Weyerman Pale Malt + Palisade SMASH (wlp028 yeast) that was fan-freakin'-tastic.

So what does this actually taste like? Is it true that it's just a lighter Munich? Could you come close to duplicating this recipe with the right mix of 2-row and Munich?

Death,
I think you should add this to the recipe database. I always have a hell of a time finding it in all the threads. I'm sure this one qualifies as tried and true.

Just had my first one - color was awesome and clear . Tastedkinda malt / sweet - but it is young. My first AG - it will be my next bath to brew to - and that will earn it spot as my first beer to keg once that Keg Kit gets here around Christmas time ...... :)

Just poured the first one from my last 10Gal batch and it's delicious! This half was fermented with kolsch yeast and is very nice. When they were kegged the half with cali lager yeast tasted better, but damn is this **** good! Thanks again Death!

i wanted to try this but i had to make a lot of subs. instead of 10vienna i did 6pounds vienna, and 4pounds pale 2row. hop schedule was the same. used danish lager yeast instead. fermenting now

Arrrh rawrrr back from the dead again. Brewing this as my first smash this weekend, but thinking of moving the FWH to 60 min. Anyone done this brew both ways?

Just brewed this today. Got in a bit of a time squeeze and pitched at 75 but put it in my fermenting chamber right away and is now at about 64. Hoping for good things!

Vienna is awesome as a base malt, try it with Styrian Goldings.....a match made in Heaven.

I brewed a Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH a couple weekends ago. It smelled amazing going into the fermenter! Here's the recipe:

Method: BIAB
Style: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 30 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)
Source: Bearded Idiot

OG 1.046 (hit it on the head)
FG 1.012
ABV 4.43%
IBU 28.73
SRM 5.91

Fermentables
Amount Fermentable PPG °L Bill %
10.23 lb Vienna 35 4 100%

Hops
Amount Variety Time AA Type Use
0.5 oz Galaxy 30 min 14.8 Pellet Boil
0.5 oz Galaxy 5 min 14.8 Pellet Aroma
0.5 oz Galaxy 0 min 14.8 Pellet Aroma
1 oz Galaxy 7 days 14.8 Pellet Dry Hop

Mash Steps
Amount Type Temp Time
34 qt Infusion 154 F 60 min

Wyeast - American Ale II 1272

This might seem like a stupid question but how much is 1 Unit of Finning? I don't want to put too much or too little. (Update: read the instructions on the bottle which called for .5 TBS per 5 gal)

Been drinking on this Galaxy/Vienna APA since New Years. I dry hopped it in the keg with another 2 oz (I think?) of Galaxy, and it both smells and tastes fantastic. I'm thinking that I'll have to try this galaxy hops in a few more brews!

Hey guys,

Gonna give this one a go soon as my first all grain recipe. Just got a question about ingredients before i lock in my purchases. For the hops i have managed to find:

Northern Brewer Pellet Hops 9.0% AA

Will these suffice for the recipe? Im just a little lost as to whether i need 3 different types of northern brewer hops, or if i use the same type of hops, just added 3 seperate times in different amounts? Also thrown off that you say 8.80 and these are listed as 9.

Any help from anyone?

Thanks so much!

Hi McLovinmylife, welcome to HomeBrewTalk.

In the original recipe, those are all the same variety of hops, which are split up and added at three different times within the boil.

Hop Alpha Acid percentages change from year to year and from grower to grower, based on the soil, rainfall, heat/cold, etc. - His were 8.8% and yours are 9% - I don't think most people would re-calculate a recipe over 0.2% difference.
However just be advised that your IBU, especially for your bittering addition, will be slightly - very, very slightly - higher.

If it were a big difference (say, 4.5% Cascades versus 8.5% Cascades) then you would want to re-calculate each hop addition amount so that the total IBU of each hop addition stays the same as the original recipe. (this is less important on the late-hop addition, though - primarily on anything boiled long enough to contribute bitterness!)

DeathBrewer- I plan on brewing this recipe this weekend as my first AG brew and I had a few questions. I planned on using 12.5 quarts (1.25 quarts per lb) for the mash, but how much water should I sparge with?

Also, I plan on using wlp007 which should ferment out pretty dry. Should I mash a little high to add a little sweetness? I plan on following your Easy Stovetop All Grain instructions. Thanks!

DeathBrewer- I plan on brewing this recipe this weekend as my first AG brew and I had a few questions. I planned on using 12.5 quarts (1.25 quarts per lb) for the mash, but how much water should I sparge with?

Also, I plan on using wlp007 which should ferment out pretty dry. Should I mash a little high to add a little sweetness? I plan on following your Easy Stovetop All Grain instructions. Thanks!

I brewed this a few months back. Mashed at 154 and I used wlp007. It did dry out a little, but it was fabulous. This brew was a huge crowd pleaser.

I'm getting ready to brew this SMaSH with Northern Brewer. I'll post how it turns out, but Im torn between hops and base grains. I guess I'll run with it and see how it goes and mix things up for next time to compare. All in all, I've liked all my beers, so I can't go too wrong I guess.. Any feedback here?

Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.67 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.92 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Bottling Volume: 20.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 78.9 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
8 lbs 0.2 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 79.3 %
2 lbs 1.5 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 20.7 %
0.30 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 4 9.4 IBUs
0.35 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 10.2 IBUs
0.40 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 9.0 IBUs
0.45 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 6.5 IBUs
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -
1.0 pkg California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [35. Yeast 9 -
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 D Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Braumeister 20L - Single Step - Light Body
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 1.7 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 26.83 l of water and heat to 38.0 C 38.0 C 10 min
Saccharification Heat to 65.0 C over 25 min 65.0 C 60 min
Mash Out Heat to 77.0 C over 14 min 77.0 C 15 min

Sparge: If steeping, remove grains, and prepare to boil wort
Notes:
------
Boil 90 minutes

Looks good. I guess you're replacing the Vienna with 2-row and a little crystal?

Total IBUs are pretty much the same as the original and I like that you have a very low bittering amount to balance out that light am. 2-row.

Made a batch yesterday, mine will be slightly stronger as i rounded up when converting to metric ;D

For a first time all-grain it was a good idea to limit the complexity i think and my efficiency was right around 70%.

Tested the brew at 1 week bottleconditioned, good flavours, hop is coming through, but not overpowering.

WP_20150424_22_17_06_Pro.jpg

I'm getting ready to brew this SMaSH with Northern Brewer. I'll post how it turns out, but Im torn between hops and base grains. I guess I'll run with it and see how it goes and mix things up for next time to compare. All in all, I've liked all my beers, so I can't go too wrong I guess.. Any feedback here?

Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 27.67 l
Post Boil Volume: 23.92 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l
Bottling Volume: 20.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.047 SG
Estimated Color: 7.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.1 IBUs