chest freezer: 5 cubic feet too small?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakobrau

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys.

Space is a serious concern for me, but I'd still like a modest keezer setup. I've seen you guys pack a lot of cornies in some small freezers, so I was wondering if anyone attempted a 5cu ft build?

I'm looking at the Frigidaire FFC0522GB which would be a good fit for me. I'd like to be able to fit 3 cornies in it if possible. External dimensions are 27.00(W) x 34.25(H) x 23.25(D) inches. I've yet to locate one in person, they seem to be a popular "online only" item.

CO2 tank would be external obviously. I intend to build a collar.

Am I crazy? :)

Find somethin a similar size and take a cardboard cut out of the diameter of your cornies and test it out.

+1 on what Kilted Brewer said. I do have a 5cubic foot keezer with a collar that i built. Not sure about brand as i got it on craigslist, but i can fit 2 5gallon kegs inside, but the compressor hump goes across the whole side and not just one corner, but i can fit 2 3gallon kegs up on the hump.

You could always build the collar tall enough to fit 5 gallon kegs on the compressor hump.

That's where a 2x12 collar can come in really handy.

+1 on the 2x12 collar. I used a 2x8 and am kicking myself now because I can BARELY squeeze 2 cornies in the bottom of the freezer. I may go ahead and add an additional 2x4 collar to give me a total 12 inches. It'll look stupid, but I think it's worth it!

+1 on the 2x12 collar. I used a 2x8 and am kicking myself now because I can BARELY squeeze 2 cornies in the bottom of the freezer. I may go ahead and add an additional 2x4 collar to give me a total 12 inches. It'll look stupid, but I think it's worth it!

Just go ahead and do it right the first time. A 10' 2x12 can't cost more than 10 bucks right? You'll be happier the minute you put it on.

Find somethin a similar size and take a cardboard cut out of the diameter of your cornies and test it out.

Aye, this is exactly what I intend to do. :)

However, it'll be a few days before I can get to a store to actually test this out... In the meantime I just wanted to hear from others who may have attempted small keezers already to see if I'm just wasting my time.

Thanks Chello - it sounds like with a big enough collar, 3 cornies in a 5cu is possible to pull off.

Anyone else try this? Are there pics of small keezer setups? Most of you guys seem to be lucky enough to have garages or basements :D

I just bought a used Frigidaire FFC0522DW6 5.0cu Freezer that I will convert into a Keezer... I Live in a apartment so I don't have room...

I have one Corney Keg...but looks like I can sneak on more next to it on the bottom if the template I made is right ;)

I can for sure add another on the shelf if I put on a 8" collar....which I think I might...

I am gonna make the collar out of maple...since it is so small..I don't need thick board...so going with 1" X 8"....

Debating whether to mount it to lid or just around the bottom...leaning towards just mounting it to the freezer...

Anyone with pics of how they did there 5.0cu would be great...

Here is mine...so far....

keezer.jpg

I am gonna make the collar out of maple...since it is so small..I don't need thick board...so going with 1" X 8"....

Debating whether to mount it to lid or just around the bottom...leaning towards just mounting it to the freezer...

Make sure you realize how much taller 8" is when throwing in 50lbs of beer+corny. You might want to make a mock up in cardboard to see if it's truly something you want to do.

How do you cut a 45 in a 2X12? As a tall guy, I would really appreciate the extra height for the taps, and lifting the kegs aren't an issue (6'5"/300ish), but the actually joinery is what is vexing me.

Me, I'm looking for at least a 7.2cf freezer. I want 4 kegs on tap, and room for two more, or a better bottle on the hump.

I've been close in the CL race, but no dice so far.

:(

Me, I'm looking for at least a 7.2cf freezer. I want 4 kegs on tap, and room for two more, or a better bottle on the hump.

I've been close in the CL race, but no dice so far.

:(

Keep at it.

But practice these lines:

"I arrive on time to check it out, intend to take it on the spot and will pay your asking amount in cash if it is in the condition you stated it is in."

You'd be surprised the doors that will open for you when you drop that little gem.

I have a 5 cu ft. freezer and I built a 10" tall collar on mine (ripped sheets of plywood to 10" tall). The keezer is a bit tall, but it's not terrible. I fit (3) ball lock cornies and a 5lb CO2 tank with a dual body regulator no problem. It is a bit of a hassle to get the full kegs in (I'm 5'-10" 170lbs.) but it is by no means insurmountable.

As far as the carpentry goes, cut pieces to size, use a 90 degree clamp (buy one, worth every penny) to get them square and glue and nail your collar together. Check fit constantly, better to catch a mistake early.

I still haven't put the finishing touches such as paint and trim on it, but it functions and it shows how it will look pretty well in the picture.

2mywwed.jpg

Before

2magx1.jpg

W/ Collar

9qk7tg.jpg

After

Latest posts

Back