rinsing with creek water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomshiva

Reaction score
I soaked all my equipment with starsan and my partner rinsed them off with creek water. It is real cloudy this time of year....Is this going to contaminate the beer? Cheers.

Yes, it will. You dont need to rinse after starsan application. That being said; don't ever wash anything brewing related in crick water!

Water from a creek has any number of contaminates/bacteria/fungi/etc. If you must rinse -- and you don't need to with starsan -- I'd use tap water.

Out in your area, it's worse. Look up giardia. This protozoan is commonly carried by rodents (think beaver in this group), and they defecate it into the water. You do NOT want to get giardia. Use Star San, do not rinse. That is all.

Out in your area, it's worse. Look up giardia. This protozoan is commonly carried by rodents (think beaver in this group), and they defecate it into the water. You do NOT want to get giardia. Use Star San, do not rinse. That is all.

I don't think giardia can live in beer

I don't think giardia can live in beer

I knew someone who contracted it, and I'd be taking no chances. I assume that it can't live through the actual brewing process, otherwise a lot of those people drinking Coors, made as it is from those "crystal-clear mountain streams," would be dropping left and right. But santitize / rinse with giardia / pitch? I don't think so.

I knew someone who contracted it, and I'd be taking no chances. I assume that it can't live through the actual brewing process, otherwise a lot of those people drinking Coors, made as it is from those "crystal-clear mountain streams," would be dropping left and right. But santitize / rinse with giardia / pitch? I don't think so.

ah i see what you are getting at here

rico567 said:

Beavers also have the clap 🙏

This is silly. Your beer will likely be fine. Giardia won't grow in beer, and the amount of creek water you had in you equipment after rinsing with creek water is negligible. I have rinsed many a camp item in stream or lake water that probably had giardia in it, and have never contracted it.

Who has ever actually been made sick by drinking even the most badly spoiled home brew? Nobody, that's who.

Tell us how it turns out, but don't dump it unless it tastes bad.

I sanitized my gear with starsan but my parter rinsed it in the toilet. Is this ok?

Sorry just kidding. It does seem really strange to just decide that the creek would be a convenient place to rinse. Were you camping or something?

Back