American IPA Ithaca Flower Power Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually prefer it a little drier anyways--sounds like it is going to be an excellent beer. If it is at FG, then you can dry hop anytime. I dry hop for at least 7 days though. Whenever I rushed it and only dry hopped for 5 days or so, I was disappointed in the lack of aroma.

any thoughts on using other yeasts on this? I have WL001 cal ale yeast, WL090 SanDiego Super Yeast, and Wyeast Rogue Pacman all sitting in the fridge. I know Cal ale is pretty much the same as US05, but I wonder is 090 or rogue would be a good alternative?

Don't know much about those other yeasts, but sometimes I'll try other strains just to see what flavor profile I can come up with. That to me is the fun part(obviously, other than drinking it) of homebrewing. We are always learning new stuff.

I kegged this on Wednesday, FG of 1.011. Tasted last night and this is a drinkable beer! Even green, I whipped through the first, then the second with no trouble. Still green of course, but it's delicious. Floral, grassy, very hoppy but balanced. I'll try to remember to update after it's aged a little bit. Kyle

Let it dry hop for 7 days-- you'll be happy you did, it makes a difference with the aroma.

Yes I will wait atleast 7 days. Then I either keg or bottle. Not sure if I can hold off on the bottle. I want to drink it now. The smell n taste it has already is so good.

After I started brewing and drinking IPA's like this, I am amazed that at one time I enjoyed the commercial fizzy yellow stuff.

All I can say is WOW just brewed a few weeks ago n bottled last week. Just popped open a bottle n WOW this is a great beer and I'm sure with some time its only gonna taste better. Now I have to go n get a original n compare side by side but from the taste now its close. Thanks for posting this recipe I am hooked. Now I have to make 10 gal batches of this... It's perfect strong citrus n hoppy also set at the end which is nice. Great smell when the nose is in the glass..

ForumRunner_20120608_185943.jpg

Beer looks great!!! I just did the same beer, except, I backed off the grain bill by a few pounds in order to get a abv around 6% for the summer. I kept the hop schedule the same, and this beer came out awesome as well. I'm glad you enjoyed the recipe. Keep on brewing.

I've been watching this thread and I'm looking forward to brewing this one. Nothing else seems to have the floral quality that Flower Power has. I might have to sub some 2 row to work with my BIAB setup but that's no biggie.

brewing this one tomorrow just like the originally posted recipe...the only sub-- I couldn't get Simcoe leaf hops, so I will have to sub in Cascade...I'll miss the pine aroma, but look forward to the grapefruit!

2.jpg

Here's a pic of the same beer recipe, except one that I did with a slightly lower grain bill to achieve a lower abv--around 6%. I lowered the honey malt to 8oz from 1 lb, and reduced the 2-row by a pound or so.

brewed it today...went great. OG was 1.077...a little high, but that 126IBU should balance it fine. Will post my results in a few weeks.

OG looks great to me. You had better efficiency then I usually get. You're going to love this beer.. I am going to brew it again this Saturday, as I blow through my 5 gallon batches since my wife and I like our homebrew IPA's.

Dumpsterboy said:
OG looks great to me. You had better efficiency then I usually get. You're going to love this beer.. I am going to brew it again this Saturday, as I blow through my 5 gallon batches since my wife and I like our homebrew IPA's.

Gotta prep for the 4th! This will be my next clone, about to kick Yoopers 60 and have Skeezers Zombie Dust in primary along with another Pale and a Zythos wheat I just did today.

Hey Dumpster, there's no Amarillo or Chinook in the boil listed on Ithaca's website. I'm not trying to be a jerk just wondering what you thought of eliminating them and where to move the other hops. No IBU's listed on their site either which isn't helpful but I saw somewhere the brewer said 75 IBU's, no idea if that's true.

Siv-- you are right, No Amarillo or Chinook in the boil on their website. I have brewed this a few times and did it both ways(with them in the boil and without). I thought it was closer to Flower Power when I added amarillo and chinook in the boil. The chinook @5 really added a nice aroma, and the early addition of Amarillo added some bitterness and flavor as well. As far as the IBU's-- again you are right about 75 according to Ithaca. I like it overly hopped, so I boosted up the hop amount, and it worked for me that way. I boil for 60 minutes, but when i took the brewery tour in Ithaca, they said they boil for 90 minutes. So if you add centennial @90 then you can probably reduce the amount of hops to achieve a higher IBU-- of course you would have to increase your preboil amount as well. Here is the second way I brewed a close clone of flower power that more resembles their recipe that you can try, but again I like the first one a bit more.

1.25oz Centennial@60, 1.0 Simcoe@30, 1.5 Cascade@10, 1.5Ahtanum@5---then dry hop 7 days 1.0oz each of simcoe, amarillo,chinook
This was 89.0 IBU's , I used 16lbs Briess 2-row, 1lb Honey malt, 0.5 Acidulated malt ----- aboout 7.5%abv

I liked this beer as well. And no, your not being a jerk at all, I like the feedback of different people--it makes us all better brewers.

Dumpsterboy said:
Siv-- you are right, No Amarillo or Chinook in the boil on their website. I have brewed this a few times and did it both ways(with them in the boil and without). I thought it was closer to Flower Power when I added amarillo and chinook in the boil. The chinook @5 really added a nice aroma, and the early addition of Amarillo added some bitterness and flavor as well. As far as the IBU's-- again you are right about 75 according to Ithaca. I like it overly hopped, so I boosted up the hop amount, and it worked for me that way. I boil for 60 minutes, but when i took the brewery tour in Ithaca, they said they boil for 90 minutes. So if you add centennial @90 then you can probably reduce the amount of hops to achieve a higher IBU-- of course you would have to increase your preboil amount as well. Here is the second way I brewed a close clone of flower power that more resembles their recipe that you can try, but again I like the first one a bit more.

1.25oz Centennial@60, 1.0 Simcoe@30, 1.5 Cascade@10, 1.5Ahtanum@5---then dry hop 7 days 1.0oz each of simcoe, amarillo,chinook
This was 89.0 IBU's , I used 16lbs Briess 2-row, 1lb Honey malt, 0.5 Acidulated malt ----- aboout 7.5%abv

I liked this beer as well. And no, your not being a jerk at all, I like the feedback of different people--it makes us all better brewers.

Wow, thanks for the elaborate feedback! I made a recipe based on yours a bit but with continuous hopping from 20 on in. It saves a bit on hops and was very successful for Yoopers 60 clone. If I do a 90 boil you think I should drop the Crystal addition? Assuming you put it there in place of boiling for 90.

In my last batch a few days ago, I added 8oz of acidulated malt because Ithaca uses it. It increased my efficiency by about 3-5% too.

Dumpsterboy said:
In my last batch a few days ago, I added 8oz of acidulated malt because Ithaca uses it. It increased my efficiency by about 3-5% too.

I'm making this tomorrow, have 4oz in my recipe . Ever see the need for carapils?

I've never made an all-grain before - a little scared to right now. What LME or DME (or both?) can I use to substitute for the 16 lbs of Breiss 2-row?

I brewed this about 5 weeks ago. I hit my numbers right on. However, I used 2 packets of US-05, and my final abv was 8.5%. Everyone I speak to about Flower Power has the same experience, feeling like your drunk on two beers. This one will get me there in 1.5. There's just something about that stuff. This recipe is delicious. Other than clarity and the nose, it is right on compared to the real deal. I tried throwing the hops into the primary towards the end; next time I'll wait for the secondary.

No idea what happened but my beer got pretty dark and is malty/caramely. Definitely not Flower Power and doubtfully the recipes fault.

I wonder what happened? Is it infected? I just racked this recipe to the keg and it came out perfect again. If you figure out what you think happened then please post--I'd be interested to see how that occurred. The best thing about this recipe for me, is the lack of maltyness.

Dumpsterboy said:
I wonder what happened? Is it infected? I just racked this recipe to the keg and it came out perfect again. If you figure out what you think happened then please post--I'd be interested to see how that occurred. The best thing about this recipe for me, is the lack of maltyness.

I don't think it's infected, tasted fine before I dry hopped. I detect some diacetyl or a scotch ale kinda yeast or something. It just tastes like a bigger beer, like Deviant Dales or 90. It's weird because there's not even Caramel malt in this recipe. Maybe I just boiled the **** out of it? Had a Stone 16 Anniversary and then this and it tasted similar. It's fine, just not the kind of IPA I like.

That's interesting--- I agree I prefer IPA's that are not very malty. I've had the Stone 16 anniversary--some people love that beer, but to much malt for me. Anyways, I'd try it again and see what happens. In fact the one I just racked to a keg was this recipe and it actually came out a bit lighter in color--probably 7 srm, so once it carbs up I think it should be just what I'm looking for. Good luck brewing.

Drinking one now. This beer is confused I think. Right now it reminds me of a Barleywine, which I don't care for. Maybe it's just young? I've been drinking my IPA's at around 4 weeks(keg not bottle). I'm getting a Zythos vibe in there also, just an odd brew.

I really can't figure out what could have happened to that brew. I'd save that one for your company who likes maltier beers and always thinks that homebrew is free beer.

Dumpsterboy said:
I really can't figure out what could have happened to that brew. I'd save that one for your company who likes maltier beers and always thinks that homebrew is free beer.

Haha, nice. I won't have a problem getting rid of it. Only thing that makes any sense is infection or the fact that the brew before this was a KBS clone. I BIAB, maybe the residual malt bill from that leeches out into this brew since I use the same custom bag for every brew. Been considering getting another bag so I have one for dark and one for lighter beers.

I've decided that for my tastes 5% honey malt is too much. If/when I try it again I'm going to 3%, for my efficiencies that takes me from 12oz to 7oz.

If I add 2 packets of Safale-Us 05, it usually eats up some of that extra sugar and therefore reduces the maltiness. But reducing the honey malt seems to give me the flavor profile I am looking for.

Brewed this over the weekend. I always seem to have good efficiency with my system, clocked in at 1.080. I ended up getting a second pack of yeast and pitched it yesterday. Its chugging along quite nicely. I am trying to control temp in a fridge that I have with a primitive controller. I do not have a thermowell in the carboy, so I have been turning the fridge clear down to 55 degrees or so just to keep ferm temps below 70. I will let you know how it is in about 3 weeks or so.

Back