Blonde Ale Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POAS

Reaction score
I have made the following Blonde Ale several times and it has always turned out as a great quaffable beer. I recently harvested some Wyeast 2565 Kolsh yeast that I used for an Oktoberfest type ale. Any opinions as to whether this Kolsh yeast would be a good substitute for what I have been using here (the American Ale)? What kind of difference would it make?

3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
2 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain
8.0 oz Maris Otter (4.5 SRM) Grain
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 75.0 min
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056)

Any opinions would be appreciated.

It's going to kick up the esters a little, probably require a cold crash, slightly less attenuation. I'm curious about the 8oz of Marris Otter though. You might also sub your 2 row for pilsner malt to give it some crispness to go with the Kolsch flavors. If you brew it post up the differences. I've got a blonde I make a lot that I'm debating switching the yeast on.

The grain bill is a little strange, but only because when I first tried it, it was sort of an "empty the inventory" kind of beer. Since it came out so good the first time, I've been making it basically the same since. I'll post the differences after I brew it with the Kolsh yeast and taste it.

Back