Making wort for my starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunnright00

Reaction score
So, I always have a problem with patience when it comes to pitching my yeast.

I finally got an immersion chiller, so that solves my problem for brew day, but when I make a starter (especially when I start it at 9pm) it takes too long for me, and last time I think I killed the yeast. Too hot!

So someone in the Tap Room (sorry I can't remember who) said he makes a couple of gallons of wort, and cans them in quarts or pints or whatever, saving them for when it's time to start a starter.

Brilliant!

So my questions are, since I don't have any canning/jars, is there any reason why I couldn't just bottle it in quart bottles? Then I can keep them in the fridge right? Or where would be best for storing them?

May I suggest going to WalMart (or what ever) and pick up some canning jars. This allows you to keep the wort sterile and sanitary for long term storage. No different than storing pasta sauce that you make at home - treat the products the same.
I make a morning out of it on a rainy weekend; make a large batch of starter wort, can it, and save it. Save hours in the long run when you want to make starters and really nice when stepping up the starter. A small investment now will be worth a lot of savings in the end.

You can bypass all that and just buy some DME which you can store any way you like, and measure out whatever quantities you need, effortlessly, into whatever container you have on hand, whenever you decide it's time to make a starter.

May I suggest going to WalMart (or what ever) and pick up some canning jars. This allows you to keep the wort sterile and sanitary for long term storage. No different than storing pasta sauce that you make at home - treat the products the same.
I make a morning out of it on a rainy weekend; make a large batch of starter wort, can it, and save it. Save hours in the long run when you want to make starters and really nice when stepping up the starter. A small investment now will be worth a lot of savings in the end.

How is a sterile canning jar different than a sterile bottle with a sterile cap?

You can bypass all that and just buy some DME which you can store any way you like, and measure out whatever quantities you need, effortlessly, into whatever container you have on hand, whenever you decide it's time to make a starter.

But don't you still have to boil the DME? The step I'm trying to bypass is waiting for it to cool. Just throw it in the fridge until I'm ready.

No, you don't have to boil anything. You only have to boil if you are worried about bacteria in your beer.

How is a sterile canning jar different than a sterile bottle with a sterile cap?

I would guess the jars hold up to heat changes better.

Boiling wort ahead of time. That is another great idea. I see no reason it wouldn't work as long as everything was sanitized properly.

Back