s up su no q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
¡ƃuıɥʇou sʎɐs ʇı ǝzılɐǝɹ llıʍ noʎ˙˙˙

WEAK.

I can reads upside down AND backwards. You fail!

Typesetters RULE!

Bwahahaha! I didn't know there were any of us left. My first job was as a typesetter. I believe I may be among the last generation to have set hot type. The high tech typesetting that came next was phototype on big reels attached to mainframe computers. One reel per font. The keyboard looked like something from the deck of the original Enterprise. The reels would rock back and forth as you typed, rotating to the letter that you had punched in, exposing the negative image from the reel onto photosensitive paper, which you then had to unload and feed into the processor in pitch blackness. The woman I worked with had been a typesetter for 30 years. She could set type at 108 words per minute and have no idea what she had just punched in. It was amazing.

Chad

Bwahahaha! I didn't know there were any of us left. My first job was as a typesetter. I believe I may be among the last generation to have set hot type. The high tech typesetting that came next was phototype on big reels attached to mainframe computers. One reel per font. The keyboard looked like something from the deck of the original Enterprise. The reels would rock back and forth as you typed, rotating to the letter that you had punched in, exposing the negative image from the reel onto photosensitive paper, which you then had to unload and feed into the processor in pitch blackness. The woman I worked with had been a typesetter for 30 years. She could set type at 108 words per minute and have no idea what she had just punched in. It was amazing.

Chad

Yeah, I am not quite of the generation when it was still going on but I love it when I have the chance. Did you run a linotype or other typecaster, or did you use handset type?

My living room is full of type cabinets, a composing stone, reglet, rule, galley trays, and the like, and various small cast iron presses. I have an old Washington handpress in pieces that I am restoring in the garage too. Lots of lead. Lots of joist supports in the basement!

ǝןdoǝd ʞunɹp oʇ op oʇ ɹıɐɟ ʇou sʇɐɥʇ ǝpnp

uoʍ ʇɥıs ʍıןן ɹǝɐןןʎ ɯǝss ʍıʇɥ dǝodןǝ

This is where me thinking I have a small case of dyslexia comes in handy...

I DO have dyslexia... actually almost got held back in school for it. Is it easy for "normal" people to read upside down/ backwards or not? It's always been easy for me... maybe that's because EVERYTHING is backwards :drunk:

Chad

I never worked with hot type but I did work in a few printshops when I was younger, mostly in the dark room setting up jobs for the printer. Lots of backwards type there.

Printers!!

I've never had to manually set type. I just graduated from Clemson with a degree in Graphic Communications. Yea, they have a degree for printing. I'll be doing color management for a flexo printer in Cleveland.

Back