Drill Pumps for Moving HLT Water - On the Cheap...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlenkerla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Have any of you tried or use a drill pump?

u539843.jpg

http://www.doityourself.com/invt/u539843

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?acti...uctId=138026-15649-PPDRP-1&detail=&lpage=none

$6.94 at Lowes.... These are also supposed to be self priming.

they work but i'd be worried that they'd leach plastic into hot water or wort

plug in drills work better the cordless just don't have the amps to do em justice

The price is certainly right it would be nice to know what the temperature rating is on this. I'll do a little research.

Cheers

I've used them before ( not for beer though) they will burn up rather quickly if you let them run dry at all...or even if you don't run them dry. I've bought and thrown away about six of those suckers.

In my experience they aren't built to last very long hence the low price, I will say they will do the trick...slowly, then eventually fail :cross:

None of them say anything about being food-grade. They appear to all be made for moving non-potable water. For $7-15 there is no way they're going to be much better than a steel shaft coupled by a greasy bearing, which is not something I want my wort going through, regardless of what temperature the pump can handle.

None of them say anything about being food-grade. They appear to all be made for moving non-potable water. For $7-15 there is no way they're going to be much better than a steel shaft coupled by a greasy bearing, which is not something I want my wort going through, regardless of what temperature the pump can handle.

Good point, I hadn't considered what a greased bearing and what it would do to mash water.

Again , just for the record, I was only thinking of this for hot water. No wort.

Not being food-grade is probably the biggest issue.

My HLT also doubles as my turkey fryer kettle. So far I've done no mods to it, so its probably best to just put a ball valve on the sucker and let gravity do the rest.

Right now I use welding gloves & muscle to dump the hot water to the MLT.

Back