yeast stuck. like, stuck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsratso

Reaction score
new to making starters. i usually pitch on the colder side ala JZ. so when i refrigerate my starter overnite and it floc's out, and i go to pitch, it seems like there is a big chunk of yeast stuck on the bottom of the flask. swirling won't dislodge it. has this happened to you? i was tempted to star san a spoon or something and go in there, but didn't want to risk it.

I have always been able to loosen up the yeast cake by swirling the bit of wort that I left for that purpose. You might also add a little of your wort to loosen the cake. I would make the effort to get all the yeast in the fermenter.

The yeast should always be at or just below your fermentation temperature when you pitch. Taking the from the fridge and dumping them into warm wort will send them into thermal shock. This will stress the yeast, slow their reaction, and create off flavors In your beer (which might not be a bad thing).

The yeast should always be at or just below your fermentation temperature when you pitch. Taking the from the fridge and dumping them into warm wort will send them into thermal shock. This will stress the yeast, slow their reaction, and create off flavors In your beer (which might not be a bad thing).

yep, i let them rise to pitch temps.

I take mine out of the fridge the morning of brew day. I decant just about most of the liquid off the top of the yeast. Then an hour before pitching I stick it back on the stir plate to loosen them all back up and have the stir plate warm things up a bit.

Sorry, not true and many of us do exactly what you say not to. I pull my starter when I'm ready to pitch, decant, swirl it up and pitch it in, no off flavors, no stress, no extended lag time, great finished products. There is no thermal shock as the yeast are basically dormant until they begin to warm up.

Mind you my wort is already chilled to 58-60F, not in the 70's. If you have a source stating I'm wrong I'd be interested in seeing it.

Back