Ground Turkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHV

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got a couple pounds of Ground Turkey thawing. Bought them for burgers, already done that with the last pack. I need some ideas

Another meatloaf idea that's a stable around here. 1 pkg ground turkey, 1 diced up piece of bread, 1 small diced onion, 3/4 cup Franks BBQ hot sauce, 3/4 cup milk,1 tbs cumin.

You can use whatever sauce you have handy, hot sauce, spaghetti sauce, ect...but franks BBQ hot sauce is our favorite.

375 for 70 min. Great stuff.

I use ground turkey to make picadillo, a cuban stewed ground beef dish

Picadillo

Brown the meat (1 to 1 1/2 lbs), remove from heat
Saute 1/2 onion, 1/2 green bell pepper, 1/2 red bell pepper (all finely chopped), some cayenne (optional) and several tbsps minced garlic garlic until cooked well.
Add 1/4 cup Goya Sofrito and 2-3 tbsps tomato sauce, a healthy dollop of Adobo and a packet of sazon, and a handful of green olives.
Return the meat to the pan and add 1/2 cup water, mix well and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until most of the water is reduced (should be slightly saucy not a soup - like tacos)

Serve over white or yellow rice, or use as a filling for Empanadas or Rellenos de Papa

I just browned a pound of turkey to put it in spaghetti. Other than the lighter color and less fat it's not so different from beef.

Lettuce wraps

sitr fry with chopped mushrooms & water chestnuts, shredded carrots, soy, terriyaki, garlic/ginger, sambal oelek, and a touch of rice vinegar.

MoonshineJane73 said:
I just browned a pound of turkey to put it in spaghetti. Other than the lighter color and less fat it's not so different from beef.

And I would recommend a spaghetti squash instead of pasta. Cut in half, microwave on high for 12 minutes. Pull apart from the skin with a fork and pour your spaghetti sauce over it.

Meatballs and fry them in reduction hot sauce. When I used to do this I used equal parts hot sauce, barbecue sauce, vinegar, and red wine.

Basically fry the meatballs in the sauce mixture until it becomes thick and goopy. Eat them as-is or on rice or whatever else you like. I could go through a whole pound in one sitting if I wasn't careful.

Spaghetti bolognese with the turkey subbing out the ground beef tastes very similar to the original with less fat than even lean beef...

I use ground turkey to make picadillo, a cuban stewed ground beef dish

Picadillo

Brown the meat (1 to 1 1/2 lbs), remove from heat
Saute 1/2 onion, 1/2 green bell pepper, 1/2 red bell pepper (all finely chopped), some cayenne (optional) and several tbsps minced garlic garlic until cooked well.
Add 1/4 cup Goya Sofrito and 2-3 tbsps tomato sauce, a healthy dollop of Adobo and a packet of sazon, and a handful of green olives.
Return the meat to the pan and add 1/2 cup water, mix well and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until most of the water is reduced (should be slightly saucy not a soup - like tacos)

Serve over white or yellow rice, or use as a filling for Empanadas or Rellenos de Papa

Slightly off topic but I wanted to point out that I'm a HUGE proponent of sazon. If you ask me it has ALMOST as many applications as a seasoning as salt and pepper.

Taking it further off topic & memo to non-Latinos: Sazon is awesome. My wife (Puerto Rican) introduced me to sazon. Now it's the secret ingredient in my pasta sauce.

I was canning sofrito last December when our stove opted for self-immolation instead.

Turkey Italian Sausage Crumbles (makes an awesome pizza topping or just eat it straight from the pan!)

This is a great healthier alternative to greasy pork sausage

1lb ground turkey (at least 7% or higher fat content)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp red pepper flake (add more if you like the heat
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tbsp Italian Seasoning
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp dried basil
1 tbsp fennel seeds (I use whole, but ground is fine too
1 tbsp finely grated parmesan cheese (add when turkey is almost cooked through)

Add all ingredients to turkey and place in large frying pan
Fry up turkey until well browned (almost a bit of crispiness to it)

You can also make killer meatballs this way

Taking it further off topic & memo to non-Latinos: Sazon is awesome. My wife (Puerto Rican) introduced me to sazon. Now it's the secret ingredient in my pasta sauce.

I was canning sofrito last December when our stove opted for self-immolation instead.

I even pit a packet in my chicken salad :D.

I use ground turkey for anything that would call from ground beef. Far less greasy. I make tacos, spaghetti, lasagna, burgers and if I have to cook Hamburger Helper I use turkey for that as well. I never tell anyone that I'm cooking for that it's turkey and that has had it enjoys the meal.

Back