Dave Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Dave Line Book.
He advocates such things as brewing in a plastic garbage can and using table sugar in recipes.
There's some recipes I fancy but I'm not sure I can trust his methods.
Has any one tried them, what do you reckon

I wouldn't trust him at all!

For one, garbage bins are not food grade plastic, and for another I would guess table sugar would give off flavours in a brew.

never heard of him but those sound like horrible methods. read palmer or papazian's books, this guy sounds like a hack.

What does 'food grade' plastic really mean and are garbage cans really not made out of it? The garbage cans I use in my kitchen are pretty much the same as the ones used in restaurant kitches for storage of food items (bulk flour, prepped salad greens etc) except for color.

i'm trying to dig up a post I made here that shows a mapping of symbols stamped in the plastic to the type of material they are made of.

hang on....

-walker

Thanks, walker! My brewing bookmarks are getting out of hand. I've already got four sub-folders and I still have trouble viewing things.

i saw a book in the thrift store today about making wine, beer, and liquers. it was from the 70's i think. i scanned through it and was amazed to see how much technique has evolved since then. they were using any old bucket topped with seran wrap in the book...not to mention other wierd things.

I got a book for my birthday by Dave Line. It looks like it is kind of dated in it's information. I think it dates back before the explosion in homebrewing here in the states. Also, I thought he was from England isn't he?(I'm at work and don't have the book handy. Had some good recipes but all were all grain if I'm not mistaken.

Hey orfy, don't you find it troublesome brewing around hounds? I keep finding hound hair in my pot when boiling up a brew!

In fact, my hound is moulting so much at the moment our carpet has changed colour, and we are vacuuming every day!

plastic garbage can and table sugar...sounds like moonshine to me...haha...better skim the first 10 gallons off, 'cause it'll be poison...haha. :drunk:

Well, you gotta realize that Line was writing his books back in the 70's!! Things just weren't as they are now. However, if it wasn't for guys like him and Papazian, things wouldn't be the same now . Line was to HB'ing then as Papzian is to us now.
Now, if you take his recipes and tweak them while eliminating some of the sugar and replacing it with malt, those are some mighty good recipes! I have made a few doing that, out of the book " Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy", and they were real tasty!! (BTW, that is probably the first "clone" recipe book!! )

Back