Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This?
beerguide.jpg

Is that supposed to be serious or funny? Because it looks like a serious effort... but there are quite a few pretty funny things on it...

Ales are sweet (sometimes... not always!), full-bodied (again, sometimes... not always!)

Porters have a burnt flavor?

Porters are way more malty than stouts?

Pilsners are really, really hoppy?

Ambers have excess malt?

Pale Ales and India Pale Ales have the same hoppiness?

Don't forget: stouts are "roasted not malted" and Oktoberfest has moved from September back to October.

The ones that have cracked me up lately are the memes that claim that beer is made of hops, which is a vegetable. Why not go the barley route that beer is actually made of?

Unless it's barley bread...

But I guess my qualms with it is when they say that it's made of hops. It's made of barley and water; it's made with hops.

good point. his are the only ones that can be called salads then!
@moops

Now im seriously wondering: if I took a picture of the roasted green cauliflower & spinach soup SWMBO and I made last night, could I convince people I actually made hop soup? F$%# it, why bother with the fermentation and conditioning?

Now im seriously wondering: if I took a picture of the roasted green cauliflower & spinach soup SWMBO and I made last night, could I convince people I actually made hop soup? F$%# it, why bother with the fermentation and conditioning?

hell yeah! just go buy some bmc, throw in some hops and whatever other vegetables you want, boom! ipa soup! make sure you cool it down to 170 before you do the soupstand, so that way you can get all of those good flavor and aroma oils extracted.

Overheard at my local pub recently.
"In order to be a REAL Marzen (pronounced MARS-en) it has to come from Marzen, Germany."
Highschool German tells me to pronounce it Maer-tzen and um, no....its a style of beer. As usual I just sit there and chuckle in my head.

Overheard at my local pub recently.
"In order to be a REAL Marzen (pronounced MARS-en) it has to come from Marzen, Germany."
Highschool German tells me to pronounce it Maer-tzen and um, no....its a style of beer. As usual I just sit there and chuckle in my head.

As long as you tell us why it's actually called that without googling, then we'll continue chuckling with you. ;)

It was typically brewed in March, which is Marzen in German.

Close enough. March is März, but in this case it's an adjective (traditionally Märzenbier) and is dative (meaning that it points to a date), and would be preceded by the indefinite article "ein." So it would be ein Märzenbier. Now it's shortened to just Märzen. But you are right on the pronunciation!

hell yeah! just go buy some bmc, throw in some hops and whatever other vegetables you want, boom! ipa soup! make sure you cool it down to 170 before you do the soupstand, so that way you can get all of those good flavor and aroma oils extracted.

soupstand, nice. Ill try to convince her we need to leave the pot at 180F max, or well lose the aromatics from the garlic and onions

you should definitely try it.

Yes, but it is potentially quite dangerous in glass due to the guarantee of the solid->gas phase transition happening more quickly than the absorption of gas into solution. In short, most of your gas goes into headspace, high pressure, and boom.

there's a post somewhere by a guy that does it in plastic.

I remember on a family camping trip we put some dry ice into water in a PET softdrink bottle thinking we'd make instant soda water. The cap of the lid shot straight up and destroyed the peak of the ball cap one dude was wearing (who'd just leaned over to have a look) and continued through the tarp over his head. It could have been horrifyingly bad. Don't do it people!

I remember on a family camping trip we put some dry ice into water in a PET softdrink bottle thinking we'd make instant soda water. The cap of the lid shot straight up and destroyed the peak of the ball cap one dude was wearing (who'd just leaned over to have a look) and continued through the tarp over his head. It could have been horrifyingly bad. Don't do it people!

I made a couple of those one New Year's eve. Cap didn't shoot off, they just exploded, as desired. The 2 liter was loud but the 16 oz was much louder.

Rules and Regulations
Rules and Regulations Please remember, all memberships to HomeBrewTalk are voluntary memberships.

When you sign up for an account with, and use the HomebrewTalk Forums, you agree to the following:

13. No use of "Google it", or "Try Searching".

Back