Shielding for pilot burners / brewstand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
So after my first brew on my single tier Brutus style rims stand I realized due to it always being breezy here I really need some additional shielding. So looking for some options specifically on material / mounting

1) 2 pilot burners I need to protect. These are the q314a manual pilots. They blow out super easy! I was thinking about using aluminum sheet for this. Opinions?

2) I am thinking on the two ends I need to put a plate the width of the stand and probably around 12" high so it will stop wind through the sides. Here is where I need the most help - a good material and how to attach it. Thin stainless could work I guess but will likely be pricey.

And I won't be welding on it - it's already been coated in ceramic (the stand).

Thanks!

I used 316 sheet form online metal.com. I will say if it is cut to size its VERY difficult to bend, you will most likely cut yourself. I got a big sheet and cut it down, which was VERY hard to do with a jigsaw and a total pain with a grinder. I punched holes in the ends and used several bolts to tame the monster. I think it cost me around $75 for the metal for 3 sheilds. I did not use aluminum as it shields from wind but conducts heat like no other.
I would not use this heavy of a guage again, in my mind it seemed small upon arrival I could have made a battleship out of it.

IMG_0055.jpg

I ran into this issue and I just said **** it and bought a cheap HVAC collar. Works great.

I took a look at those in home depot, cheap and easy to work with. I think if I were to do it again I would use a real thin sheet of stainless. Buy the correct width, and x amount length and cut it into the required amount of sections. Then again the HVAC stuff is a local pick up item.

We are partial to this design
also, coming later this week is an adapter to fit other burners in this same shroud :rockin:

P1040569.jpg

A couple earlier shots before the stand was done:

photo by brewerJP

photo 3 by brewerJP

DSC_0120 by brewerJP

So I do have built-in wind shields. Unfortunately the mash burner is kind of falling outside that shield because I have it so low. That burner was the most problematic. The BK burner never went out but it was being affected by the wind.

This is why I was thinking screw each burner - put something on the sides of the stand itself. Then I'm just dealing with simple rectangular sheet I can have cut to size. My stand is 22" wide so I was thinking a 22" x 12" sheet and maybe I'll just have to tap a few holes to to secure it. So this way there's no way wind can pass through on the sides. If I always orient the stand so the wind is the from the side I'd think this would solve most of the problem. Although - I still think I need to put an individual shield around the pilot. I can't have those blowing out for obvious reasons! They can be a PIA to get started again sometimes.

You might have better luck if the pilot was mounted inside the ring with flame directed out, and top of the diffuser even with top of the burner as the flame leaves on a 45 degree angle. As it looks now it is rather high, and the flame would be getting blown around by the updraft on the burner and be unstable at the least.

Jcaudill

Those are some nice looking lines supplying the pilots and burners. Where did you get those? And did you need additional hardware to mate the honeywell pilot light with that hose?

You might have better luck if the pilot was mounted inside the ring with flame directed out, and top of the diffuser even with top of the burner as the flame leaves on a 45 degree angle. As it looks now it is rather high, and the flame would be getting blown around by the updraft on the burner and be unstable at the least.

Hmm - that's an interesting idea too. The only challenge that might pose is when I switch over to the VR8200 gas controls - wondering if there's enough room for the thermocouples. I'll have to play with that.

As for the height - fully adjustable up and down. Right now they're positioned where the Q314A instructions say - where the flame comes out of the pilot is just a little lower than even with where flames exit the burner. I haven't noticed the burner blowing out the flame but I can certainly easily play with that.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Jcaudill

Those are some nice looking lines supplying the pilots and burners. Where did you get those? And did you need additional hardware to mate the honeywell pilot light with that hose?

I made them. Basically it's just 1/8" aluminum tubing, compression fittings, and then the line is a 12" gas supply line from plumbingsupply.com. I wanted to make sure I could easily disconnect it if need be.

Back