keeping star san

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azingsheim

Reaction score
Hi, how long can you keep star san for and how do you keep it?? I always have dumped mine, but would like to reused if possible. Thanks

you can absolutely, positively reuse it. I'm sure someone will chime in If i have the number wrong, but as long as the ph is 3.5 or below you're good to go. And, if i'm not mistaken, it will last a lot longer if you use distilled water to mix

If by reuse you mean sanitize something and then put it back in the container to sanitize something else, then I'm not sure I would recommend that. I wouldn't bathe in your used dirty bath water, so I would'nt think you would want to reuse the starsan/dead-germ mixture.

Mix the recommended amount with distilled water and it should last for many many months. Use a spray bottle to apply it.

One bottle of starsan should last for at least 15-20 5gal batches if you use a spray bottle.

I understand that as long as it is clear and not cloudy, it is still good. Maybe someone on here will straighten me out.

I put it in a spray bottle and it goes a long way. Easier to spray the sides of a bucket than to fill the bucket with 5 gallons of sanitizer. I spray the bottle caps, spray inside the tubing, etc. My 8 oz bottle of Star San will last a lifetime at this rate.

How about sanitizing a clean fermentor and then reusing it? I filled the fermentor with about 2 gallons of water and then cleaned the bucket airlock and lid. They were all clean, so would I be able to reuse it? Thanks

I buy gallons of distilled water, mix it, and store it right in the gallon jug. I test it with pH strips before use. I also always have a spray bottle of mixed so I can sanitize items like hydrometers when needed.

Back