Question on Bottling with yeast and DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I've got a winter warmer that has been sitting in the carboy for about 3 months. I'm planning on bottling it soon. I want to use a package of yeast and about 5 oz. of DME. The beer temp is sitting around 62 degrees now. Do I just mix the yeast, DME, in the beer in the bottling bucket and bottle? If I rehydrate the yeast at 85 degrees, will it hurt it when I dump it into the cold beer at bottling time???

I've only bottles 1 other time, always kegged, so I'm new to the process....

Thanks

you don't need to add yeast. there are still plenty swimming around in your brew. i would recommend using corn sugar to carb your beer. it seem to be more the standard. if you do decide to use DME you will have to add more of it to get the proper level of carbonation. there are plenty of calculators out there that will tell you how much to add. oh and word of warning here. because your using DME there will be a ring of karasen around the water line in your bottles. don't worry its normal just shake the bottles to dislodge it.

and be patient with your bottles. it may take as much as 3 weeks or longer to fully carb your beer.

mix the DME in some water and boil for 10ish minutes. then gently pour that into your bucket trying not to aerate it. then rack the beer into the bucket again trying not to aerate it. hopefully you have a bottling wand and some tubing. the wand is a clear plastic rod with a white thing on one end with a kind of button in it. connect the other end to the tube and the tube to the spigot on your bucket. then its just a matter of opening the spigot and sticking the wand into the bottle and pushing down on the button. fill till you are barely going to overflow the bottle then stop. pull out the wand and cap. you will have the perfect amount of head space in the bottle.

Back