Uses for an old water heater?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mista_Sparkle

Reaction score
So, I guess my dad got a relatively new 50 gallon nat gas water heater from work. It has a small leak somewhere but were thinking its from a fitting or something.

I'm wondering if there are any cool DIY projects we could use it for. I guess its porcelain on steel well insulated. If nothing else, its probably got a decent burner and temp control in it we could snag.

I had to price 40 gallon water heaters last week. If I had a fairly new 50 gallon that may only be leaking fomr a fitting, I'd look into fixing the leak and selling it.

You could use it as a boiler. With 50g you could heat water to do back to back to back brews. You could get two mashtuns and use it to do double simultaneous batches. It would make one big ass HLT.

If you take the temp control parts off of it, they are useful for using on a temp controlled HLT.

You could take off the temp control and burner. Then you could turn the tank into a solar water heater. I have been wanting to build one for a long time, just can't find a good free water heater yet.

Latest posts

Back