I got a water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the missing info...I had to go to my water department and request a "Secondary Contaminants Report". It was free and I believe water departments are required by law to make this available to all who ask for it. It contained all the info I needed (and then some) and was way more than the info they send out in their standard public report.

+1 on the "propoganda" report. they are required to have some info available. The one the city I live in has online is a bunch of fluff making you feel good about the water you are drinking. I called the water department and the connected me with a lab tech who kindly forwarded me a pdf of a useable report.

Ditto. I got a report from the city, but when I called the office to ask about the missing data, he offered to have a worker sample the water and send out for analysis. For free.

I will definitely contact the city and try to get the missing information. My only concern is that when I take water out of our tap it always comes out very cloudy almost white, this seems to settle out after a few minutes but I don't know if that will affect my beer.

I will definitely contact the city and try to get the missing information. My only concern is that when I take water out of our tap it always comes out very cloudy almost white, this seems to settle out after a few minutes but I don't know if that will affect my beer.

Here's my two cents worth! That first test is just that pure propaganda. The ONLY way to get an accurate sample/representation of what your water consists of is to do a catch sample from your home faucet! What ever the city says their water quality might be is because they take their sample at the treatment plant, not after its traveled through miles and miles of who's knows what type of piping.

Find a local water lab/company, take them a sample in a new sterile container and have it analyzed, I did mine and was surprised at what a difference the quality was. It cost me $25.00 and I went through a local U.S. Filter Corp. to have it done.

The quality was so different from what the water company said it should be they came out and installed a softener/RO and filtration package (Carbon/sediment/heavy metals/.05 & .01 micron) and U.V. it led to them finding 32 leaks in their main over 7 miles, and having to have it repaired to get the water back to acceptable limits!

Here are a few nation wide labs that will test water for you, one is even a do it yourself at home test.

CULLIGAN - water filters, water softeners, drinking water, water treatment

Water and Wastewater Technologies and Services from Siemens Water Technologies

Suburban Water Testing Labs: Water Tests

Discover Testing

The cloudy white water sounds like air bubbles.

Hey I'm from Menomonie too! Nice to see someone else on here! I went down to the water department (across from the sewage plant) and spoke with them about a water report. I got a full page of info regarding EVERYTHING that is in the water. Everything needed for brewing also, hardness, pH, calcium ect... Go down there and ask for Dave or send me a message and I'll send you what you need to know. :D

Back