Well, I finally joined the club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I finally broke my first F'in Hydrometer. I blame it on the fact that I'm going through my first stuck/slow fermentation here I actually need to use the thing more than once in a month. I guess I'll swirl the carboy one more time, give it a few days, then keg! Who knows what I'll actually be drinking ABV wise.
I'll be ordering a new one next week when I order ingredients for the GreenwoodRover Brew

I was under the impression that both are really needed. IE Refractometer = no good during/after fermentation. I would like a refractometer for sure for the Pre boil and OG readings.

Link me that $20 one!!

Well, they are no good on their own but the conversion utility in Beersmith does a great job. Only, you need a hydro to determine the difference and set it up.

I say get both. That way, if you ever break a refractometer you'll have a hydro for backup.

I was under the impression that both are really needed. IE Refractometer = no good during/after fermentation. I would like a refractometer for sure for the Pre boil and OG readings.

Link me that $20 one!!

You can use a correction factor provided you know the OG.

Ranges I believe you want are from 0-32 (maybe 35 brix). Try to make sure it has automatic temperature compensation, although they may all have this. Not that temperature is a big issue, I mean you're only using a drop or two.
You're going to be really happy, refract's are really great to have!

0-32°. Gotchya. I knew I wanted ATC, but was unsure of range. So thats it? Just those two things? Not good brands or more importantly, bad ones?

Make sure it's for sugar. :D

For $20-$30, you're gonna get a cheap asian mass produced ref.

I am not saying that is bad. I am just saying it's not gonna be a top of the line, traceable, backlit, self calibrating model.

I got mine off ebay for $20 and love it. I'd actually like to get another with a wider scale for the lighter beers to take some of the guesswork out of the in between readings. Not that that is a major problem.

Back