Yooper Brewday this summer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, or Michigan up for a brewday again this year in the UP? We have sleeping room for three couples (plus a couch) at our house in town, a little extra sleeping space at the cottage, plus lots of room for tents/campers/pop ups.

I think anytime ofter July 10 or so, through August, would work for me. I know we're a long way from anywhere, but I think it's worth it!

A couple of pictures from last years brewday:
DSCF3023.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

DSCF3025.jpg

All would be welcome, including pets. Fish fry and cornbread and some sides will be provided! Pontoon boat rides for those who want to live on the wild side will be available.

Sounds like a blast! Where's the Cottage at? My summer is pretty full and with working 1 out of 3 weekends it doesn't leave many options but I'll keep an eye on the thread.

Sounds like a blast! Where's the Cottage at? My summer is pretty full and with working 1 out of 3 weekends it doesn't leave many options but I'll keep an eye on the thread.

It's in the central UP, on the Wisconsin border right off of US 2. It's about 15 minutes east of Watersmeet, and about 10 minutes from Iron River. It's on a small lake that doesn't have any public access.

It's in the central UP, on the Wisconsin border right off of US 2. It's about 15 minutes east of Watersmeet, and about 10 minutes from Iron River. It's on a small lake that doesn't have any public access.
I know that area a bit. I grew up in White Pine and my wife and I both went to NMU. That would be doable. It's only about a 6hr drive. I may be able to talk a coworker/fellow brewer (Flabyboy) into coming also.

Yoop, I will be out your way mid august, I will be stopping by to visit while up there, but I doubt I could pull off a brewday. I'm going to have a hard enough time getting my air tanks on the plane, let alone my brew gear!

Throw some dates at me! I know Homercidal will be up this way but I'm not sure when, and HenryHill said he probably can't make it this summer. I'm busy on a Sunday afternoon (July 17 I think is the date) but otherwise I'm open to just about any time!

What (besides homebrew) should I bring?

TB
That's a good question. Not sure I'd haul the brewing equipment 300 and some odd miles but certainly would bring some home brew. Maybe some Minnesota beer also such as Surly or some other special request.
I have a class reunion in White Pine the weekend of July 30th. So I'd be up there anyway. I could easily split my time between the two if it's at your cottage. Otherwise weekend of Aug 6th or 20th for me. Suppose I ought to check with my wife before I commit.:D

Make a poll and see what you get... :mug:

M_C

Throw some dates at me! I know Homercidal will be up this way but I'm not sure when, and HenryHill said he probably can't make it this summer. I'm busy on a Sunday afternoon (July 17 I think is the date) but otherwise I'm open to just about any time!

What about the weekend of August 6th?

I don't have anything on my calendar that weekend but Bob and I are retired (I'm working, sort of, but that's not an issue) so it can start earlier than Saturday but I thought I'd thow a date out there.

You know, if this was like a TWELVE hour drive instead of eighteen, I'd be all over this. Dog, kids, wife, we'd be there. Just too long a haul (especially at $4/gallon).

You know, if this was like a TWELVE hour drive instead of eighteen, I'd be all over this. Dog, kids, wife, we'd be there. Just too long a haul (especially at $4/gallon).

I know what you mean. My own family says, "it's so far!!!!" Of course with my family I respond, "Well, you know it's just as far when you start in the other direction!"

But it seems like we're so far from everywhere sometimes!

You know you'd always be welcome, kids, dogs, spouses, even second cousins.

Yooper said:
What about the weekend of August 6th?

I don't have anything on my calendar that weekend but Bob and I are retired (I'm working, sort of, but that's not an issue) so it can start earlier than Saturday but I thought I'd thow a date out there.

I think that will work.

Looks like Kim will be up at MTU the week of July 17-23. Wife is very excited to be coming up again. We're borrowing a camper and spending the whole week up there (probably a lot of it near Copper Harbor). Not sure exactly when we are leaving, and haven't really laid out a schedule, but stopping at you house, Yoop, is definitely on the agenda!

Trust me, guys, plan to attend a Yooper Brewday! Food, beer, good conversation, fun and games... What is not to like?

I really hope that we can make our UP tour and the brewday coincide.

P.S. - If you are planning on touring the lake on the pontoon, it's probably a good idea to make sure your Life Insurance policy is current.

Damn Yopper that is awesome of you. Looks like you guys/gals had some fun doing that. If I ever get the time to go visit my relatives up in the UP I might just have to drive over and say hey.

-Stanley

Looks like Kim will be up at MTU the week of July 17-23. Wife is very excited to be coming up again. We're borrowing a camper and spending the whole week up there (probably a lot of it near Copper Harbor). Not sure exactly when we are leaving, and haven't really laid out a schedule, but stopping at you house, Yoop, is definitely on the agenda!

Trust me, guys, plan to attend a Yooper Brewday! Food, beer, good conversation, fun and games... What is not to like?

I really hope that we can make our UP tour and the brewday coincide.

P.S. - If you are planning on touring the lake on the pontoon, it's probably a good idea to make sure your Life Insurance policy is current.

We'd love to have you anytime you can make it. You are more than welcome to stay at the cottage or at the house in town anytime during that week. We can also take you to some interesting areas if you're inclined- the Sylvania Wilderness, or some cool waterfalls. You know there is beer on tap and we may have some hard lemomade on tap if Kris likes that.

I can't wait to show you the new electric HLT and control panel that Leon built!

Damn Yopper that is awesome of you. Looks like you guys/gals had some fun doing that. If I ever get the time to go visit my relatives up in the UP I might just have to drive over and say hey.

-Stanley

Anytime! We love having guests and Bob loves cooking our "native foods" for our guests!

We'd love to have you anytime you can make it. You are more than welcome to stay at the cottage or at the house in town anytime during that week. We can also take you to some interesting areas if you're inclined- the Sylvania Wilderness, or some cool waterfalls. You know there is beer on tap and we may have some hard lemomade on tap if Kris likes that.

I can't wait to show you the new electric HLT and control panel that Leon built!

I can't wait! I am very excited to see Leon's panel. I am working towards building an electric brew rig myself, as you know, and might have to copy some of his engineering for my own use!

I will mention the tour thing to Kris. That is the kind of stuff she wants to do while we are up. We had a fantastic time at the waterfalls last time we were up (excepting for the hangover in my head) for the brewday!

that sounds like a blast. if i could get my wife to agree to the 800 mile roadtrip, i'd be in. seems unlikely, though.

that sounds like a blast. if i could get my wife to agree to the 800 mile roadtrip, i'd be in. seems unlikely, though.

By 800 miles you of course mean round trip right? by my guess you are less than 400 miles from Yoopers place. that is about a 6 hour drive to enjoy some U.P. hospitality! I will be there after the brewout, around the 15th, and I'm only 2,000 miles away.

By 800 miles you of course mean round trip right? by my guess you are less than 400 miles from Yoopers place. that is about a 6 hour drive to enjoy some U.P. hospitality! I will be there after the brewout, around the 15th, and I'm only 2,000 miles away.

yep, round trip. google says over 7 hrs one way. if i could take a few days off work, it might be feasible, but i'm supposed to hold on to all my vac time. i may or may not be laid off for the entire month of october.

Wondering if I get the wife to stay home I could just ride the bike there. 45 MPG vs. 17 MPG. Harder to bring beer but I'm sure I could figure something out. It does have hard saddle bags. :D

Wondering if I get the wife to stay home I could just ride the bike there. 45 MPG vs. 17 MPG. Harder to bring beer but I'm sure I could figure something out. It does have hard saddle bags. :D

Or, invite your dad and use HIS car and gas! We like your dad, so that would be a win/win!

Hey Yooper! I'll pitch the idea to my wife. Depending on how it is looking up there as far as space we could bring our pop-up camper. We do have a big (dumb but lovable) dog we'd bring too :) So we going with August 6th?

Hey Yooper! I'll pitch the idea to my wife. Depending on how it is looking up there as far as space we could bring our pop-up camper. We do have a big (dumb but lovable) dog we'd bring too :) So we going with August 6th?

Dumb lovable dogs are always welcome! I haven't heard any complaints yet about August 6, so that is my date unless something else works better for a majority.

Yoop, are there any seasonal roads or two tracks required to get to your place? Just wondering if I should take the WRX or the truck.

It is the U.P. afterall. :)

I think the snowmobile trails are mostly closed to other traffic, and the Watersmeet ORV loops don't make it that far. You'll have to bring a "real" vehicle! I think it's M26 that goes down to US 45, and it's a nice way to come.

Yooper said:
Dumb lovable dogs are always welcome! I haven't heard any complaints yet about August 6, so that is my date unless something else works better for a majority.

I think the snowmobile trails are mostly closed to other traffic, and the Watersmeet ORV loops don't make it that far. You'll have to bring a "real" vehicle! I think it's M26 that goes down to US 45, and it's a nice way to come.

Haha, I wasn't looking to rally my way there; I was just asking because the Subaru has low clearance. :)

Back